primax: A number of things re pxscan

Subject: A number of things re pxscan
From: Gustaf Kroling ####@####.####
Date: 28 May 2000 20:26:17 -0000

Hello all,

I see that I have missed saturdays mails. Thanks Christian
for your
answers :-)

Here are some things that I want to say:

Re: D9600 ASIC E1

This asic is not supported for the simple reason that I have
no such
scanner. *But* I happend to find one that I can borrow from
time to
time. If someone sends me info on that scanner maybe it is
possible
to integrate it into the same driver or at least in a common
source-
code. Also see below re patches.

Re: 600P / 1200P

Can't Primax supply us with a list of what they have
produced this far?
It seems as if a Primax scanner can contain almost anything.
The label
on the package seems to be irrelevant. Anyway, as long as
they use the
E3 ( and possibly E1 ) ASIC it should be a matter of
parameters to make
it work I think. But again I have no such scanners at hand.

Re: Printer ports

The routine that probes the printer port can't handle my
hardware. That
is why there is a SOFTEPP version of pxscan. I used that
until the driver
was almost finished. Then I happend to discover a jumper on
the printercard
that selected EPP ONLY. Then it worked! Thinking about the
origin of ECP
and its complexity it may be too hard to implement. At least
EPP as a
subset of ECP. You need the datasheet for almost each and
every chip used...
So, try to turn of ECP.

Re: Patches

pxscan is almost rewritten by now. It can do black&white and
gray scans
among other things. However, it is not stable and more
things have to be
cleaned up. This means that sending me patches may be a good
way to show
how things can be done but don't do more than needed to make
it work. I will
probably not be able to use the patches 'as are' by now.

Re: Myself

I will be absorbed by another bold project during June and
can't work on
pxscan nor will I read any mails. In July most things come
to a standstill
here so expect to here from me again by then :-)

Thanks for all positive mails :-)

cu

Gustaf