primax: SANE Backend

Subject: Re: SANE Backend
From: Christian Biesinger ####@####.####
Date: 30 Aug 2000 19:48:36 -0000

C Hennessy schrieb:
> Andre Herms wrote:
> > > Is anyone working on a Sane Backend for primax parallelport scanners?
> >
> > I do it actually.
> >
> > It's not a real backend for the scanner. I decided to write a meta backend,
> > that contacts to a server. The server code is most of the primaxscan code. So
> > it would be easy to update the backend code when primaxscan changes.
>
> So if I understand this better then you mean that we would have both the
> sane
> demon plus a primaxscan demon running at the same time ?

He wrote to me in a personal mail (though I don't know if he did it
intentionally) that this had the following reason: When a client
connects to the server, the server switches the scanner light on. When
the client disconnects, it remains switched on for some time (I hope I
got it right).

> If this is so, is it not more complicated than integrating primaxscan into sane ?
> ANd then updates of primaxscan, so that there would be a library which the
> primaxsane backend would simply link against. This would also allow us
> to continue to build the primaxscan binary.

I'm not sure if I got you right here.
I think what you want is the following:
A library which both the sane backend and the current binary link
against, so that both versions benefit from improvements and bug fixes.

If this is what you want, I think it's a great idea!

--
WAR IS PEACE - FREEDOM IS SLAVERY - IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
2 x 2 = 5