primax: HELP WANTED

Subject: Re: HELP WANTED
From: ####@####.#### (Thomas Schano)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 23:29:51 -0000

Andre Herms wrote:

> Hi
>
> Im writing the sane backend for Primax scanners.
> And I need some help.
>
> A short desciption waht is planed:
> The sane backend is not the scanner driver, its just a client.
> The server talks to the scanner.
>
> The server:
> It reads the data from the scanner and writes ist in raw format to a file.
> the client can read it from there.

That's described in the sane-spec

> For making it work, there are some thing to do:
>
> 1. clean up the primaxscan code. the scanner control code must be seperated
> from the output code (tiff/raw).

That's a very little step. It's no problem. The code should be proper almost. A
raw-data-output is only placing a case statement at two point in the code.

> 2. a clean makefile is needed for compiling the sane backend. I'm not good in
> writing makefiles. Who can help?

For sane a sane-makefile should be used. A copy of other makefiles is in the
sane-package. Such one could be modified.

> 3. The server shall read the settings from a config file and save them there.
> I think this is quiet easy to do with fprintf() and fscanf(). Could anyone
> write some functions for this.

Here is the main problem: There are 16 speeds the carriage can run. This would
mean to decide what settings are needed. Which format for the data sets should
be used an how could the records be separated? (I'm not a friend of binary files
for configuration.)

> settings to save and read are:
> int timeout

why this parameter?

> int warmup

why this one too?

> int speed

The speed should be choosen in dependency of the pixels per line.

> int nice_level

What's this good for? (I know the function of nice. But in my opinion it makes
no sense to change the priority of a driver.)

> char[100] password    // for accessing the advanced options of the server

I think a password should not be necessary. 100 Characters is a paragraph not a
word.

> calibration data      // this maybe better n another file.

Or 16 ones. Here is the main information inside.

> If anyone reading this has enough time to do it....

That's the main problem.

> PS: I hope the source code will reach a ftp or cvs server.

If you are writing it I'm sure it will.

Thomas Schano

PS. In my opinion porting the code to the kernel first would make more sense.
The 2nd step is the sane-port.