primax: HELP WANTED

Subject: Re: HELP WANTED
From: Christian Biesinger ####@####.####
Date: 2 Sep 2000 08:58:19 -0000

Hello!

Thomas Schano schrieb:
> Andre Herms wrote:
> > A short desciption waht is planed:
> > The sane backend is not the scanner driver, its just a client.
> > The server talks to the scanner.
> >
> > The server:
> > It reads the data from the scanner and writes ist in raw format to a file.
> > the client can read it from there.
>
> That's described in the sane-spec

?
It certainly isn't, because it has nothing to do with sane.

> > 3. The server shall read the settings from a config file and save them there.
> > I think this is quiet easy to do with fprintf() and fscanf(). Could anyone
> > write some functions for this.
>
> Here is the main problem: There are 16 speeds the carriage can run. This would
> mean to decide what settings are needed. Which format for the data sets should
> be used an how could the records be separated? (I'm not a friend of binary files
> for configuration.)

I would use a textfile for it, and actually I'm writing some functions
to read and write the configuration.

> > int warmup
>
> why this one too?

I can't exactly tell you why, but the scanner needs some time after the
light is switched on. The Windows driver needs this as well.

> > int nice_level
>
> What's this good for? (I know the function of nice. But in my opinion it makes
> no sense to change the priority of a driver.)

A quote from another mail from Andre:
<begin quote>
nice level: unix is a timesharing system, the process with a higher nice
level
gets mor cpu power. Since the scan can be time critical, it should be
wise to
give the server on slower machines a higher level.
see also : "man nice"
<end quote>

> > PS: I hope the source code will reach a ftp or cvs server.
>
> If you are writing it I'm sure it will.

Andre sent me the source code, should I upload it somewhere?

> Thomas Schano
>
> PS. In my opinion porting the code to the kernel first would make more sense.
> The 2nd step is the sane-port.

Kernel?
The Linux Kernel?

--
WAR IS PEACE - FREEDOM IS SLAVERY - IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
2 x 2 = 5