primax: Loading and saving calibration data

Subject: Loading and saving calibration data
From: Michal Kostrzewa ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2002 21:56:38 -0000

Hello again

> > -L -S options which L)oads and S)aves calibration data which makes
> > scanning much more faster (on my MM100 scanner at least)
>
> I already got some calibibration saving patch, but as fas as I can see
> it has no command line enhanchements. is calibration data saving
> _really_ wanted by the folks?
>
> Pleas tell us on this list. I'd don't really like this feature.

Please let me explain my motivation to do this.
On my scanner, calibration takes about 20 seconds. When I'm doing a preview
in small resolution, this time is significant comparing to page scanning time
(40% (!) almost half time (!)). In case of a preview, very good quality
caused by accurate pre-calibration is often unnecessary - often you only want
to know, where you placed something to scan.
Moreover, when I scan in B&W exact calibration is also not very important.
And the third: calibration data loaded from file don't differ too much from
calibration taken just before scanning. (If lamp is warmed enough). (On my
scanner at least ;-))
And the fourth: you've said, that you had got already a patch doing something
like that. It means that there exists other man who had needed it :-)

In my patch you don't have to load calibration data from file if you don't
want. If you don't use -L filename option the program acts like original one
- without patch.

best regards,
Michal Kostrzewa