primax: D600 and new prerelease

Subject: D600 and new prerelease
From: Mike Rothon ####@####.####
Date: 7 Oct 2002 18:48:08 -0000

I have downloaded the prelease and have the following news / notes:

1. The program segfaults if run by a non-super-user. I know that this is
because of the use of inb, but I am sure that earlier versions exited
gracefully with a warning message.

2. Segfault if -S600 parameter is used. This seems to occur in the
"load_calibration" function when the image->load_calibration_file is
dereference.

The work around is to set the RESOLUTION constant to 600 in TABLES.C.

3. Scanner locks up during calibration. This is the age old problem that has
stopped me using my D600 scanner ever since the Linux Primax project started
(how many years?!). Finally TOTAL SUCCESS!!!! I tracked the problem down to
the resolution used during the calibration scan.

In the function calibrate_LM9811 there is the line...

   calibration->image = X_RESOLUTION;

...if I change this to...

   calibration->image = 300;

then the scanner calibrates and works perfectly.

4. The program hangs if I set the resolution to anything greater than 300. I
am sure that this is related to the previous problem. I believe that the
problem is in prepare_scanner(). I will investigate further over the next
couple of days and report back to this mailing list.

5. I can't seem to print via the feed through on the scanner. This works under
Windows so I don't think that I have a cabling / compatibility issue.

6. A question. Is there a way to put the driver into daemon mode as per the
old primaxd? I would ideally like to have the scanner attached to my server.

7. Another question. When using the Sane driver, does the software still read
the calibration file? I haven't figured out how to dump debug strings to the
console from the Sane driver so it is difficult to see what is going on.

Thanks again for the hard work on this project. I cannot express how happy I
am that I can scan under Linux!!!

Mike.