primax: D600 and new prerelease

Subject: Re: D600 and new prerelease
From: Andre Herms ####@####.####
Date: 7 Oct 2002 19:18:33 -0000

On Monday 07 October 2002 21:49, Mike Rothon wrote:
> I have downloaded the prelease and have the following news / notes:
>
> 1. The program segfaults if run by a non-super-user. I know that this is
> because of the use of inb, but I am sure that earlier versions exited
> gracefully with a warning message.

Jupp - There is a check missing :-(.

> In the function calibrate_LM9811 there is the line...
>
>    calibration->image = X_RESOLUTION;
>
> ...if I change this to...
>
>    calibration->image = 300;
>
> then the scanner calibrates and works perfectly.

Great that it works. Can you send a patch or explain exactly what you did.

> 4. The program hangs if I set the resolution to anything greater than 300.
> I am sure that this is related to the previous problem. I believe that the
> problem is in prepare_scanner(). I will investigate further over the next
> couple of days and report back to this mailing list.

Please try to find out some more. I don't have a 600 so I cannot do it myself.

> 5. I can't seem to print via the feed through on the scanner. This works
> under Windows so I don't think that I have a cabling / compatibility issue.

A Multiplexing would be needed. Maybe the parport driver in the linux kernel
can handle this. I've not tried it yet.

> 6. A question. Is there a way to put the driver into daemon mode as per the
> old primaxd? I would ideally like to have the scanner attached to my
> server.

Yes it is. Simply use saned. This way you can also use the scanner as
non-root.

> 7. Another question. When using the Sane driver, does the software still
> read the calibration file? I haven't figured out how to dump debug strings
> to the console from the Sane driver so it is difficult to see what is going
> on.

It uses the calibration data. It's stored in "/tmp/.primax.calib".
You can dump debug strings via printf. Use XSane with root permissions.

> Thanks again for the hard work on this project. I cannot express how happy
> I am that I can scan under Linux!!!

Would be great if we could make the D600 work.

- --
Andre Herms                   ####@####.####
                              http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aherms