primax: scanning in bochs

Subject: scanning in bochs
From: ####@####.#### (S.Tobias)
Date: 4 Nov 2002 12:39:51 -0000

I hope someone might find this information useful.

I have Colorado D600 30bit scanner.  I haven't yet been
able to scan anything in primax_scan.  My observations are
similar to the ones reported earlier by Mike Rothon, so
it must be pretty same type.

I have installed `bochs 1.4.1' (bochs has been free for about two
years now).  I have patched `bochs' so that its parallel port
operations are redirected directly to hardware ports.
Inside `bochs' I have installed Windows 95, Primax
Twain driver and TaskBridge.

I have enabled standard parallel ports (0x378 +0 +1 +2).

Scanning within Twain interface was not much of a success.
I have managed to scan a very small image at 75dpi in gray,
and to make one prescan.  Other times the session ended with
"Scanner cannot scan" messages and usual system lock-ups and BSODs.

Then I tried to scan within TaskBridge.  Amazingly, I could
scan quite a big picture (10MB size) in color in 1200dpi resolution.
(It was frustrating slow, though.).  And it never failed.

Then I enabled (in `bochs') other ports (EPP: +3 ... +7 and
ECP: +0x400 ... +0x402), but with no success.  Neither Twain nor
TaskBridge worked (miscellaneous behaviour).

I realize it's a no solution, but nevertheless it might be
useful for someone trying to make his scanner work.

Stan Tobias