primax: Xsane -- Scan-mode is missing!

Subject: Re: Xsane -- Scan-mode is missing!
From: James Hatridge ####@####.####
Date: 27 Nov 2002 17:15:07 -0000

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 19:56, Andre Herms wrote:
> The scanmode option is removed from the backend. Indeed the backend cannot
> receive grayscale or 1-bit images. The modes were emulated by reducing the
> colors. To make the backend slim it was removed.
> XSane cannot emulate this, yet.
> So the best way is to use gimp with XSane or the xscanimage plugin. This is
> as easy as using the pure XSane and you get all the facilities of Gimp for
> manipulating the image. This includes some nice options for reducing the
> color space.
>
> The emulation code is still there and could easily be activeted. But I
> think it is better to have an easy to use driver leave things like color
> management to the frontend or graphic program.
>
> Gruss,
>
> Andre

HI Andre et al,,,

Ok I fired up gimp and figured out how to make grayscale and clipart. BUT
honestly doing this way is a real PIA. Being that my bulletin is printed only
in b/w I have to change each picture one at a time. Under W$ I set a buttion
and it's done as I scan in the picture. That's alot easyer. Linux will always
have problems with people until this sort of thing is changed.

Think on this. As long as I'm doing the scanning myself I'll do it the PIA way
just because I don't like W$. But the moment I have to pay someone to scan in
all the pictures (btw it takes me about a day to do all for one issue) Linux
will be out the door. W$ is just quicker and as an employer I have to count
pennies. This must change. You as the programmer must make it as easy as
possible for the user.

BTW thanks for what you've already done. Overall it's a great program. But
don't stop now <G>.

JIM

BTW:  I publish the only English speaking stamp bulletin in Germany. Once a
quarter I print a bulletin about that quarter's German new issue. My bulletin
is 20 pages long and is translated into Japanese and sometimes Chinese. I've
got readers in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, and PR China.

--
Jim Hatridge
Linux User #88484