primax: Thread: Re: Storm EasyPhoto SmartPagePro

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Fwd: Storm EasyPhoto SmartPagePro
From: Christian Ordig ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 2001 18:07:19 -0000

Hallo,

I've got a mail about a Storm EasyPhoto SmartPagePro. Maybe someone of
you can help the author with some information.

--
Christian Ordig             | Homepage: http://thor.prohosting.com/~chrordig/
Germany                     |    eMail: Christian Ordig ####@####.####

Hi there.

I admire what you guys are trying to do, and I understand the
motivation.  I have a sheet-feeder scanner called SmartPagePro made by
Storm Technologies, the company went out of business a couple of years
ago and there are no Windows 2000 let alone Linux drivers.  There are
still tons of people looking for a driver for this scanner.

I'm interested in writing myself a driver for this thing.  I'd like to
do this because I have only Windows 2000, Linux and Mac OS X.  I want to
eventually write a JINI driver for it, I think overall it would be an
interesting thing to do.

I did some digging and found that the product at some time was
registered with Underwriters Laboratories by Primax.  That's how I
connected up with your site.

I've never written a driver before but I thought maybe I could use what
you all wrote as a model.  I did a lot of C++ once but now I'm mostly a
Java guy.

Concretely, I don't know what help you can provide me, perhaps a clue
how to start, and perhaps you can use your contacts with Primax to get
the specs on the product.  Here are some vital numbers I found when I
took it apart (and put back together, still works!)--

ASIC: EICI078400
ADC: LM9811CCV
Memory: Winbond W24512AJ-15

At least that's what the chips in there say, I'm guessing as to the
functionality of the components.

Any advice, guidance is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sushil Kambampati