primax: Thread: D600 Calibration Problem?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: D600 Calibration Problem?
From: "Mike Rothon" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Feb 2002 14:07:55 -0000

I have had some success with my D600 (I am guessing its a 30 bit) with both
primax_scan and primaxd except for the following:

primax_scan:
==========
Without the -o the scan head moves forward an inch from its current position
and then sits there. I have traced the code and the problem is in
read_calibration_data - the while condition is never met.

If I specify the -o switch the scan works fine (but is a little dark).

primaxd:
=======

If I change RESOLUTION to 600 and start a preview scan in SANE, the scanner
moves about an inch and then SANE locks up. I haven't traced this through,
but suspect the problem is similar, the code layout has changed slightly,
but the functionality is the same.

Leaving the RESOLUTION at 300 causes only a 1/4 of the page to be scanned
(not surprisingly) and the whole scan has a yellow tint.

All help is greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Mike.

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2002 15:02 schrieben Sie:
> I have had some success with my D600 (I am guessing its a 30 bit) with both
> primax_scan and primaxd except for the following:
>
> primax_scan:
> ==========
> Without the -o the scan head moves forward an inch from its current
> position and then sits there. I have traced the code and the problem is in
> read_calibration_data - the while condition is never met.
>
> If I specify the -o switch the scan works fine (but is a little dark).
>
> primaxd:
> =======
>
> If I change RESOLUTION to 600 and start a preview scan in SANE, the scanner
> moves about an inch and then SANE locks up. I haven't traced this through,
> but suspect the problem is similar, the code layout has changed slightly,
> but the functionality is the same.
>
> Leaving the RESOLUTION at 300 causes only a 1/4 of the page to be scanned
> (not surprisingly) and the whole scan has a yellow tint.
>
> All help is greatly appreciated,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mike.

Cool, finally someone with a D600 using primaxd. I really want to make it
work. The problem was only, that I don't have a D600.
So - let's do it.

(1) We could disable the calibration process in primaxd and it could work.

(2) We could fix the calibration process for the D600. This is the only good
way. My problem is that I don't understand the calibration code. I took it
from primax_scan and it worked. But I have no idea of what it is doing. I
also don't know the author and if he is still alive.

We could try to figure out how it works. The problem seems that there a 2
times of the lines scanned, that are scanned with 300 dpi. The calibration
scans some area where a white and a black area is. The algorithm seems to
look for the border. With only half of the area, it cannot find it and hangs.

Does anyone has an idea how to fix this?

Andre

- --
Andre Herms                   ####@####.####
                              http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aherms
> Cool, finally someone with a D600 using primaxd. I really want to make it
> work. The problem was only, that I don't have a D600.
> So - let's do it.

Yes, I agree!

> (2) We could fix the calibration process for the D600. This is the only
good
> way. My problem is that I don't understand the calibration code. I took it
> from primax_scan and it worked. But I have no idea of what it is doing. I
> also don't know the author and if he is still alive.

Maybe Christian or Marco could help here?

> We could try to figure out how it works. The problem seems that there a 2
> times of the lines scanned, that are scanned with 300 dpi. The calibration
> scans some area where a white and a black area is. The algorithm seems to
> look for the border. With only half of the area, it cannot find it and
hangs.

I will try to capture the values that are returned both with the 300 dpi and
600 dpi setting.

Is this mailing-list the right place to discuss this??

Thanks,

Mike.