primax: Thread: Scanning without repeated calibration

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Scanning without repeated calibration
From: Wolfgang Funke ####@####.####
Date: 26 Sep 2002 13:48:38 -0000

Just do the first scan *with* calibration (after warmup of
the lamp) and then skip calibration for any further scan
(undocumented switch -o for the old primax_scan0.9x tool).
Works fine and makes the good old parallel port beat some
SCSI scanners with their special
'slow-down-because-of-copyright-drivers'. The carriage
starts immediately and least for fotos 10x15cm @150DPI YOU
will be the slowest component within the scanning process
:-).

Wolfgang

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:19:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Michal KOSTRZEWA ####@####.#### wrote:

> It seems that the calibration function does not only retrieves the
> calibration data but also makes some imopiortant settings in the scanner.
> >
> > PS: I wanted to store the calibration data in a default file and load them
> > always. This makes life much easier but has the above problem
> >

> I have had the same idea :)
>
> regards
> Michal Kostrzewa
The good old paralell port is very underestimated among most ppl...
Modern paralell ports can do up to 2 Megabyte per second. That's 16Mbit/s (actually it's 16.777Mbit/s). USB's theoretical max is 12Mbit/s, Ethernet is 10Mbit/s.
The only thing holding the paralell port back is proprietary and backwards-compatible drivers.
Some vendors tend to run the paralell port in SPP mode for compatibility resons... (fewer support calls from (L)users who don't know how to configure their paralell port)

/
Timmy