primax: Thread: Using saned with the sane backend.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Using saned with the sane backend.
From: Andre Herms ####@####.####
Date: 11 Oct 2002 08:26:39 -0000

Subject: Re: Using saned with the sane backend.
From: "Mike Rothon" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Oct 2002 10:26:24 -0000

Thanks,

This is very helpful. Once I have got this sorted out and working I will
write a short HowTo and submit it to the CVS.

Mike.

From: ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2002 16:55:31 -0000

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Andre Herms wrote:

> (1) The saned must be configured for use. Maybe your distribution has an
> option for this in it's setup tool. Others like Debian don't have so you
> should follow the explaination in the man page.
>
> (2) After that you should make your primax driver available to the other sane
> applications. Add an entry "primax" to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.
>
> (3) Make your net backend use the locale saned. Add a line "localhost" to
> /etc/sane.d/net.conf.

> That should be all. I know I should write a HowTo and add it to the saneprimax
> package. I think I will do this if I have the time :-).

I have a mandrake 9.0 distribution on a standalone syste, a primax
colorado 300 scanner.

I downloaded, compiled and installed the libieee1284-0.2.5 libraries;
the test program works ok (as root).

I downloaded, compiled and installed primaxscan-1.1beta1 ... no error
messages, but no primax_scan binary is produced (I imagine this is
desired ?).

This is the installation log:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mike/rpm-build/SOURCES/primaxscan-1.1.beta1'
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/lib/sane
 /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  libsane-primax.la /usr/lib/sane/libsane-primax.la
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-primax.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/sane/libsane-primax.so.1.0.0
(cd /usr/lib/sane && rm -f libsane-primax.so.1 && ln -s libsane-primax.so.1.0.0 libsane-primax.so.1)
(cd /usr/lib/sane && rm -f libsane-primax.so && ln -s libsane-primax.so.1.0.0 libsane-primax.so)
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-primax.lai /usr/lib/sane/libsane-primax.la
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-primax.a /usr/lib/sane/libsane-primax.a
ranlib /usr/lib/sane/libsane-primax.a
chmod 644 /usr/lib/sane/libsane-primax.a
PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -n /usr/lib/sane
Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/lib/sane

/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mike/rpm-build/SOURCES/primaxscan-1.1.beta1'

All right; so now I added primax to dll.conf and localhost to net.conf; in
the services file I added a line for service sane and I added an entry for
xnetd, all according to man saned.

Problem number 1: scanner light comes on during the booting process, and
stays on.

Problem number 2: xsane recognizes the scanner as a colorado 300; however
if I try to scan an error window appears telling me that access to the
resource has been denied. This even happens as root and even with saned
suid'd. Changing permissions to /dev/lp0 doesn't seem to help.

After an afternoon wasted running behind this I need to take a deep breath
and a break ... if any of you think of something, let me know.

--
Michele Alzetta

> I have a mandrake 9.0 distribution on a standalone syste, a primax
> colorado 300 scanner.
>
> I downloaded, compiled and installed the libieee1284-0.2.5 libraries;
> the test program works ok (as root).
>
> I downloaded, compiled and installed primaxscan-1.1beta1 ... no error
> messages, but no primax_scan binary is produced (I imagine this is
> desired ?).

No binary is produced if it cannot be produced. Maybe libtiff-dev is not
installed?
Can you please send the output of ./configure

> Libraries have been installed in:
>    /usr/lib/sane

Fine :-).

> All right; so now I added primax to dll.conf and localhost to net.conf; in
> the services file I added a line for service sane and I added an entry for
> xnetd, all according to man saned.

Hmm - sounds absolutely correct.

> Problem number 1: scanner light comes on during the booting process, and
> stays on.

This should not happen! There mus be a programm running during boot, that
 uses the driver and turns the light on. There should be no such program. Can
 you find the guilty bastard - maybe fuser helps.

> Problem number 2: xsane recognizes the scanner as a colorado 300; however
> if I try to scan an error window appears telling me that access to the
> resource has been denied. This even happens as root and even with saned
> suid'd. Changing permissions to /dev/lp0 doesn't seem to help.

/dev/lp is not used, but /dev/parport0. This is only a dummy string.

> After an afternoon wasted running behind this I need to take a deep breath
> and a break ... if any of you think of something, let me know.

Seems the guilty bastard is still running and locks the parport?!

This seems to have something todo with your startup process. I cannot
reproduce it - sorry. Please make further investigations.

Andre

- --
Andre Herms                   ####@####.####
                              http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aherms