gnupic: Re: [Sdcc-user] Adding PIC support to SDCC

Subject: Re: [Sdcc-user] Adding PIC support to SDCC
From: Karl-Max Wagner ####@####.####
Date: 1 Sep 2000 13:12:14 -0000

> I think I know the answer, but why was SDCC created separate from gcc? My guess
> is that even though gcc can be retargeted, it makes certain underlying
> assumptions which are invalid for microcontrollers.

I guess so. SDCC was definitely designed for very small
architectures.

> Question 2:
> Is SDCC `really' retargetable to a PIC? The underlying architecture of PICs is

At least Sandeep thinks so. He was actually planning it some
time ago.

> Question 3:
> Have there been any queries/requests of porting SDCC to the PIC before?

You can say that again ! Actually, Sandeep initially was
planning this some time ago, but then there were lots preferring
the Atmel AVR, then there was voting on www.kd0yu.com, where the
AVR fans were in the majority, so Sandeep went for the AVR port.

> Question 4:
> Would anyone be interested in pursuing this effort?

Yes, I think so. Look at the voting results at www.kd0yu.com.
PIC was the second strongest architecture after the AVR.

        "It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
          But they called it                 ####@####.####
            W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"                   ham radio: DB8CO
            *********Member of No Code International*********
            ***********Visit http://www.nocode.org***********
            ********Membership Number NCI-2563-DB8CO*********
    _
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . . t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a

"Et ceterum censeo ut Microsoftem delendum esse" (Cato, adapted)