gnupic: watch window for gpsim gui

Subject: Re: watch window for gpsim gui
From: Ralf Forsberg ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2000 21:21:58 -0000

>> How useful would it be to see the names of the bits for registers in
>> a special "details" window?
>
>I think this would be somewhat difficult to do in an arbitrary way. Right
>now, the bit names - if they're defined at all - come to gpsim as constant
>defined in the .cod file. There is no type information associated with
>them. So somehow you would have to know what the bit names are. This
>information is present in the form of enumerated constants throughout the
>files supporting the various pic subsystems. Unfortunately, the ascii
>names for these constants aren't avaliable. How were you thinking about
>implementing this?

(I don't know if I will)

We would have to add these names somewhere.
If we add a:
file_register->add_bit_names(char **names)
and a char *file_register->get_bit_name(int bit)
and add s call to add_bit_names() for every add_name() that currently
are in the code.

Another thing somewhat related to this problem is that symbols
"status", "pcl", "indf", ... are recognized as of type
SYMBOL_CONSTANT instead of SYMBOL_REGISTER. We want a way to match
symbols to SFR names.

Having the SFRs of type SYMBOL_REGISTER would allow the register
viewer to distinguish between SFR's and other registers (perhaps with
another color). (it would help in other ways too)

 / Ralf