plustek: make load : error1: device is busy

Subject: Re: make load : error1: device is busy
From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Nov 2000 08:33:00 -0000

Hi Yann,

On Don, 16 Nov 2000 you wrote:
[SNIP]
> change the "#if 0" to "#if 1#
> than as Yann :
> make
> as root:
> make install
> (the lines to the etc/conf.modules file where added in the previous test)
> reboot
> make load
> the scanner's light lights on but device is busy !

keep the #if 1 (did I tell you to use #if 1#? If so, sorry, use #if 1).
and try to set your parallelport to EPP, it has been reported as SPP
port (see dmesg.out).

> it seems that the scanner is detected (may be that's why the light is on) but
> there's a memory problem
> but this scanner as no memory because it freezes the computer when it scans as far
> as I observed under winblows.

This does not mean, that the scanner has no memory! The 4830 has 32kb internal
memory for shading and ohter image adjustement stuff. But these scanners do only
have a one byte fifo which will loose data when a multitasking system will do
something different than getting data from the scanner - that's why under
winblows the systems gets freezed, cause the driver will do this....

> One thing I don't understand is that I thought that putting the lines in
> /etc/conf.modules was made to have an automatic load of the module, isn't that to
> much, modifications + make load. (I fact I do not understand why we have to load
> the module if it is in /etc/conf.modules)

Nope, no automatic load. The lines in conf.modules only define the options
for a module and the dependencies upon other modules (i.e. pt_drv needs
parport loaded, so if you have added the lines, this should be done by modprobe)

> One last point, one day (before my upgrade to SuSE6.3) I succeded in a make load
> but scanimage -l showed me a 96?? scanner and a scan didn't produce any image and
> any freeze of my computer.

The misdetection takes place because of the bad parport-connection. The driver
tries to read some registers from the scanner, then it decides what to do. When
the driver gets wrong data, it might be possible, that this kind of
misdetection will occur.
Well as mentioned above, please enable the EPP mode in your board BIOS and
recompile the driver with that #if 1 stuff. Another option might be version 0.37
on my homepage, there I changed some of the I/O stuff and the automatic
detection - it has been reported, that some of the I/O problems were solved by
this driver.

Hope this helps
Gerhard