gnupic: Thread: Re: [gnupic] Lightweight distros with GPUTILS in repository

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [gnupic] Lightweight distros with GPUTILS in repository
From: Tamas Rudnai ####@####.####
Date: 15 Sep 2009 13:56:37 -0000

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Jason Hsu ####@####.#### wrote:

> Are there any lightweight distros that offer GPUTILS in the repository?  Is
> there anything I can do in a distro to substantially reduce its RAM
> requirement?

Usually graphical environment takes the most RAM so you may try not to
install X (and definitely not a big window manager like Gnome or KDE). With
'top' you can see which process takes most of the RAM so you may try to
remove those packages as well. You may also can try to use older kernels
with customized compilation so no unnecessary kernel modules are there.

Also you may can get a ram extention for your notebook from eBay or other
online market/store...

Tamas

http://www.mcuhobby.com