plustek: Thread: problem getting Epson 1250 to work...

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: problem getting Epson 1250 to work...
From: "Mark Cianfaglione" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2002 17:08:24 -0000

I'm having a problem getting my Epson 1250 to work. I've compiled into the
kernel the USB support and the scanner support as a module.

When the machine boots it detects it but does not add an entry into the
/proc/bus/usb directory (filename "devices")

After doing the "modprobe scanner scanner vendor=0x4b8 product=0x10f" line I
can detect the scanner with the sane-find-scanner utility. It states
correctly that the scanner is /dev/usb/scanner0. When I try to run it I get
a message saying that scanimage (or whatever frontend I use)  cannot find
the scanner...

I'm using the plustek-sane-0_42_9.tar.gz and sane-backends-1.0.8.tar.gz

when I do a man sane-plustek there is no mention of a usb epson scanner...

Am I missing something really obvious...

Mark

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 12:54, Mark Cianfaglione wrote:
>I'm having a problem getting my Epson 1250 to work. I've compiled
> into the kernel the USB support and the scanner support as a
> module.
>
>When the machine boots it detects it but does not add an entry
> into the /proc/bus/usb directory (filename "devices")
>
>After doing the "modprobe scanner scanner vendor=0x4b8
> product=0x10f" line I can detect the scanner with the
> sane-find-scanner utility. It states correctly that the scanner
> is /dev/usb/scanner0. When I try to run it I get a message saying
> that scanimage (or whatever frontend I use)  cannot find the
> scanner...
>
>I'm using the plustek-sane-0_42_9.tar.gz and
> sane-backends-1.0.8.tar.gz

There is a slightly newer backend, 43_1 IIRC.

>when I do a man sane-plustek there is no mention of a usb epson
> scanner...
>
>Am I missing something really obvious...

Yeah, only its not that obvious.  If you go check the plustek.conf
in (usually) /usr/local/etc/sane.d, you'll find it set for using
the parallel port, modify it to hit the usb port instead, using the
files own docs as a guideline.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
From: "Mark Cianfaglione" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2002 13:59:59 -0000

Thanks Gene,

I managed to get it to work with scanimage using the info provided (there
was a previous version of sane and it's files were screwing me up) but it
still doesn't work with xscanimage or xsane. It just says that there was an
error during I/O or something to that point... My guess is that it's looking
at an incorrect file somewhere but I've cleaned up all the old stuff (I
think).

About the light in the scanner... What's the mode of normal operation on it.
It seems to come on but I haven't seen it go off yet... (I'm using the 43.1
release of the sane driver for the plustek/epson) I've ended up pulling the
plug on the power to turn it off...

From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2002 14:38:23 -0000

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 09:46, Mark Cianfaglione wrote:
>Thanks Gene,
>
>I managed to get it to work with scanimage using the info provided
> (there was a previous version of sane and it's files were
> screwing me up) but it still doesn't work with xscanimage or
> xsane. It just says that there was an error during I/O or
> something to that point... My guess is that it's looking at an
> incorrect file somewhere but I've cleaned up all the old stuff (I
> think).
>
>About the light in the scanner... What's the mode of normal
> operation on it. It seems to come on but I haven't seen it go off
> yet... (I'm using the 43.1 release of the sane driver for the
> plustek/epson) I've ended up pulling the plug on the power to
> turn it off...
>
>Mark

Or you could rerun it using the iscan driver from epson which will
shut it off as it starts up.  I currently have both enabled, and
xsane gives you a choice of which one to use as it starts.  Finding
its power cord is inconvienient at best here...

On the 'can't find it' subject, I've found that the most foolproof
method for me is to go into the linux/drivers/usb kernel directory,
and add the scanners ident stuff to scanner.h in that directory,
just add another line in exactly the same style but with the ident
numbers of 0x04b8, 0x010f, and its name in the comment, then
rebuild and reinstall the kernel.  It will then be seen in the
/var/log/dmesg file that it was found on the reboot.

I guess there are ways to add it to /etc/modules.conf, but after
having to re-install linux from the cd's once after making a typo
in that file, I tend to leave it alone if I can.

[snip old message]

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
From: "Mark Cianfaglione" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2002 14:45:49 -0000

Gene

>Or you could rerun it using the iscan driver from epson which will
>shut it off as it starts up.  I currently have both enabled, and
>xsane gives you a choice of which one to use as it starts.  Finding
>its power cord is inconvienient at best here...

I should have mentioned it that the iscan program didn't work either.... I
guess that leads into your next paragraph... I'll try that tonight...

>On the 'can't find it' subject, I've found that the most foolproof
>method for me is to go into the linux/drivers/usb kernel directory,
>and add the scanners ident stuff to scanner.h in that directory,
>just add another line in exactly the same style but with the ident
>numbers of 0x04b8, 0x010f, and its name in the comment, then
>rebuild and reinstall the kernel.  It will then be seen in the
>/var/log/dmesg file that it was found on the reboot.

Thanks...

Mark

From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2002 18:15:48 -0000

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 10:31, Mark Cianfaglione wrote:
>Gene
>
>>Or you could rerun it using the iscan driver from epson which
>> will shut it off as it starts up.  I currently have both
>> enabled, and xsane gives you a choice of which one to use as it
>> starts.  Finding its power cord is inconvienient at best here...
>
>I should have mentioned it that the iscan program didn't work
> either.... I guess that leads into your next paragraph... I'll
> try that tonight...

I don't believe iscan will find it without the kernel rebuild I did
described below, or the right stuff edited into modules.conf.  If
someone has that bit of additions to modules.conf, would you please
post them because not everyone will rebuild a bleeding edge kernel
at the drop of a very small hat like I do.  I long ago made scripts
out of the pair of proceedures to do that, so its basicly an almost
no-brainer here. :-)  A quick edit of /usr/src/buildit to change
the vars to suit the version numbers in each, a quick edit via a
make xconfig to reset the flippin clock to utc, an equally quick
edit of version numbers in /usr/src/linux/makeit, and run it.  Run
the second script as ./makeit, fix /boot/grub/grub.conf and reboot.
If I'm not doing anything else, its < 20 minutes total.  Humm, I
should add that scanner.h edit to those scripts I guess.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
From: Reinhard Max ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 10:09:49 -0000

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 at 13:55, Gene Heskett wrote:

> If someone has that bit of additions to modules.conf, would you
> please post them

--- snip ---
options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x010f
--- snap ---

BTW, "modinfo <modulename>" tells you what options a particular kernel
module accepts.

cu
	Reinhard

From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 14:24:25 -0000

On Thursday 25 July 2002 05:56, Reinhard Max wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 at 13:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> If someone has that bit of additions to modules.conf, would you
>> please post them
>
>--- snip ---
>options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x010f
>--- snap ---

Thanks.

>BTW, "modinfo <modulename>" tells you what options a particular
> kernel module accepts.

That would be assuming 'scanner' is a module, or does that also work
for in-kernel stuff?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
From: Reinhard Max ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 14:55:34 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 at 10:04, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > BTW, "modinfo <modulename>" tells you what options a particular
> > kernel module accepts.
>
> That would be assuming 'scanner' is a module, or does that also work
> for in-kernel stuff?

It only works for modules (inspects the <modulename>.o file).
But as the question was for a modules.conf entry I was assuming that
we are talking about modules, because these entries also only affect
modules.

cu
	Reinhard

From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 16:03:39 -0000

On Thursday 25 July 2002 10:41, Reinhard Max wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 at 10:04, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > BTW, "modinfo <modulename>" tells you what options a
>> > particular kernel module accepts.
>>
>> That would be assuming 'scanner' is a module, or does that also
>> work for in-kernel stuff?
>
>It only works for modules (inspects the <modulename>.o file).
>But as the question was for a modules.conf entry I was assuming
> that we are talking about modules, because these entries also
> only affect modules.

Basicly I was asking for other folks who don't build this stuff into
the kernel.  And after asking the question, I tried it, and of
course it didn't work here as its a built-in.  I think the word, if
I can spell it, is rhetorical.

 :-)

--
Cheers Reinhard, Gene