gnupic: USB

Subject: RE: USB
From: "Eric Smith" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Mar 2002 01:46:39 -0000

http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

> "...reason to believe that something is wrong with [Cypress demo
> Windows driver code]..." No, but there is reason to believe that:
> A) I'm too dumb to figure it out <GRIN> Every time I've tried to do
> Windows Driver stuff, I've developed really bad headaches.

Which is why I don't do that any more.  I spent six months at a prior
job trying to write NDIS driver VxDs for Windows 95 (right after that
first shipped), and even with SoftICE it was completely horrible.  Since
there's plenty of work out there that doesn't involve Windows, I don't
have any problem telling people "I don't do Windows."

> B) The C++ development environment to compile it is too expensive

I think you can write Windows drivers using GCC and Cygwin, but I
haven't tried it so I could be wrong.

> C) I don't have the time.

Another reason why "I don't do Windows".

> <GRIPE>I guess I just don't understand why they don't supply a simple,
> easy to use, premade driver that just shovels data in and out like
> http://www.ftdichip.com does so I don't have to worry about that part
> of the puzzle. </GRIPE>

I thought the dev kit included such a thing.  But I never looked into
it, since "I don't do Windows" (yes, that's my mantra) and there does
exist free software for Linux to talk to the EZ-USB chips.

Eric