gnupic: gpasm Ensure bank bits are correct

Subject: Re: gpasm Ensure bank bits are correct
From: "Eric Smith" ####@####.####
Date: 2 May 2002 17:40:24 -0000

> Interesting, but you still have to be careful:
[...]
> The "curbank" variable doesn't track the flow. I think to make it work
> you need a setbank 1 and a matching setbank 0 in the same linear flow
> of code.

Yes.  The "assume" directive from the x86 world is the same.  It is
unreasonable to expect the assembler to really be able to handle all
cases, since there are lots of ways you might get to a particular
instruction (e.g., computed goto from anywhere, using any instruction
with PCL as the destination).

But it solves the problem of always needing a kludge to avoid or
disable the "wrong bank" warnings from the assembler.  Better to make
those warnings actually do something useful, rather than be something
the programmer must circumvent.

> One other useful feature would programmable asserts that work with the
> simulator.

Yes!!!