gnupic: where to start?

Subject: Re: where to start?
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 14 Apr 2000 12:51:17 -0000

Hi Andy,

I assume that you're familiar with PIC microcontrollers (other wise you wouldn't
know about HiTech or the gnupic project). I further assume that you're
relatively new to Linux and are more familiar with windows.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Andy Stephenson wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have a Suse 6.3 distribution installed, with the KDE desktop, and
> numerous other bits and pieces. But where do I start with PIC
> development?

If you want to impress your friends then get Enlightenment and Eterm - but that
has nothing to do with PIC development.

http://www.enlightenment.org/

I just noticed that 16.4 is out. (And now that XFree86 version 4.0 is out I
guess I've got some upgrading to do...)

> What is available for download? Both ready to run binaries and source?
>
> I guess I need things like an assembler (GPASM?), simulator (GPSIM?), C
> compiler? (I think I may have the HiTech compiler for Linux on the CD).

You may wish to visit http://www.gnupic.org/

There you'll find the links to many of the various tools that are available. But
besides gpasm and gpsim the only other tool you'll need is a programmer. I use
Microchip's PicStart+ and Andrew Pine's Linux driver.

> How do I know if the GNU environment is set up? Where are things loaded?

If you installed SuSe chances are everything is set up already. I'm not sure
which version og Gtk is distributed with SuSe 6.3 though. As far as where things
are loaded, well I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I guess they can be loaded
where ever you want. Often times packages will by default install themselves
into /usr/local but there is no set standard. You can use the 'locate' command
to find where things are stored on your disk.

> Tons of questions I know, but that's just a measure of my ignorance!

We need to create a FAQ that addresses new gnupic users like your self. But for
now... just ask the questions and we'll answer away.

> Any good gui type FTP clients? Suse comes with LLNL XFTP, but this prog
> bombs out after connecting - don't know why.

I use ncftp.

Scott