gnupic: Dynamic Libraries in gpsim

Subject: Re: Dynamic Libraries in gpsim
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 24 May 2000 18:02:26 -0000

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Ralf Forsberg wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2000, you wrote:
> >Once I get the module infrastructure stabilized I'll check it into CVS. I
> >wouldn't expect a new release for at least month (especially since I'll be out
> >of town for a week too).
>
> This is cool!
> The modules I'll want is a parallel port module for digital data and
> an audio module for analog data! These two would be really useful (or
> at least fun to play with :-). I wonder what kind of performance one
> would get. I guess realtime performance is out of the question.
> I wonder if/how KURT or RTLinux can help?
> It'd be great to be able to use gpsim as a poor mans ICE!

The performance you'll get will depend on what's being simulated. But the
initial modules will be comparable to stimuli since that's how the interface is
implemented. So for example, if you had a parallel port module connected to
PORTB, and the simulation writes to PORTB, then the time it takes to propogate
that information is matter of running through each of the eight stimuli. Since
there are only two nodes per stimulus in this case, it should be very fast. (The
node will have pointers to all of the stimuli that are attached - so
dereferencing is very fast).

At some point I'll have to add a timing based interface (e.g. a module may
request that it get attention every 100 uSec).

I'm sure somebody will request some kind of asynchronous interface (for like the
poor man's ICE). In this situation, you may have a module that spawns a process
that creates an event asynchronous to gpsim. When the event occurs, you'll want
to then notify gpsim. This could be used to abstract a PIC uart to one the PC's
serial ports, for example.

Scott