gnupic: gpsim..pic1687x development

Subject: Re: gpsim..pic1687x development
From: Matthew Bowles ####@####.####
Date: 24 May 2000 23:42:06 -0000

all but one wish granted Andreas,

> first of all please excuse if this is not the right place to raise this
> question.
> i'm currently developing an application based on pic16f877 under win using
> mplab and the icd module.
> i haven't really looked into gpsim so much yet, but i'm wondering if one could
> easily use the icd module to program the pic under linux (with or without
> gpsim)?

I don't know of any ICD driving software for linux, I really wish there
was some. I know someone who is looking into it though.

> is somebody else developing code for the pic16f87x series under linux?
Only every day of my life. (well 'cept weekends.)

> i'd really like to now if somebody has good experience with this combination.
I've been developing software for the 16f877 under Linux for a while
now. used most functions of the chip ie. USART, Timers 0, 1 and 2, ADC,
RB0 INT, etc.

> so far i can write (for sure) and compile (using dosemu) code under linux but
> want to program as well.
i use the picp programmer available from http://www.cosmodog.com/pic
it's a PICSTART Plus interface. I drive my PICSTART Plus from here to
program all my chips. occasionally I need to program some config. bytes
into EEPROM and then I need to walk across the office to get the ICD
running under windows for that.
If 'picp' has any drawbacks, it's because some features aren't
implemented yet, like EEPROM programming, Flash erases. but other than
that, it can program any chip that your Picstart plus can.

> i use cc5x c-compiler and mpasm for assembler code. is there a c-compiler for
> this processor available which runs under linux or any other c-compiler
> (linux) that could be modified (how?)??
I also write all my code in C. I use HiTech C Pic compiler called
'picc'. it works fine for the 16f87x series.
It has a the source on the CD under Linux, but not many people find it
I've discovered, like some saying 'I've got 'picc' or windows but I want
to compile under Linux.

Lastly, I use gpsim to test my code, it stands up well under omst
conditions, and the best thing is, if you find a problem, you just tell
Scott and he actually wants to hear it, and gets onto whenever he can.

so enjoy your Linux'ing and PIC'ing.

Matt