gnupic: Problem installing gpsim as a beginner

Subject: Re: Problem installing gpsim as a beginner
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 29 May 2000 02:36:30 -0000

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Alex Holden wrote:

> On Sat, 27 May 2000, Niklas Wennerstrand wrote:
> > Problem is that when I execute the ./configure command it does not find the
> > gtkextra-config.
>
> This means that gtk+extra hasn't been installed, or has been installed
> somewhere where configure can't find it. It's possible that it's in
> /usr/local/bin (where configure puts stuff by default unless you use the
> --prefix= command), and /usr/local/bin isn't in your path. Probably the
> best thing to do is go back to the gtk+extra directory and run:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> su
> make install
>
> If it completes successfully, running gtkextra-config --version should
> print out a version number.
>
> > Configure: error: cannot find gtk-extra-config
>
> That's weird- it should say "cannot find gtkextra-config". If it still
> doesn't work, try copying /usr/bin/gtkextra-config to
> /usr/bin/gtk-extra-config on the offchance that the configure script is
> confused about what gtkextra-config's called...

-- First off Niklas, there are very few RTFM's thrown around here because there
aren't too many FM's to R. So no matter how foolish, stupid or ignorant the
question may seem, chances are there are few others going through the same
situation as yourself. But be patient, you're experience the growing pains of
all new Linux users: the software is a bitch to install!

As Alex correctly notes, you most probably do NOT have gtkextra installed yet.
This package is required for the gui. In addition, so is the eXdbm package. Both
of these are found on my web page:

http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpsim.html

Now, the web page gives brief instructions on how to build and install the
tar.gz files. However, with the Mandrake distribution I'm pretty sure the source
does not build correctly (there are two bugs: one in Readline 4.0 [not gpsim],
and one C++ syntax error that an old version of gcc doesn't catch). So because
of these bugs, I'd suggest installing gpsim and the two other packages mention
above using the RPM's:

Download the RPM's:

http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpsim-0.19.0-0.i386.rpm
http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/eXdbm-0.1.0b2-0.i386.rpm
http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gtk+extra-0.99.0-0.i386.rpm

Then log in as root and install them:

su
rpm -i gtk+extra-0.99.0-0.i386.rpm
rpm -i eXdbm-0.1.0b2-0.i386.rpm
rpm -i gpsim-0.19.0-0.i386.rpm
exit

And that should be it! But please note the order. gpsim must be installed last!

The INSTALL file, which describes how gpsim is to be installed, is distributed
with gpsim and is available on my web page. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the
instructions for installing the RPM's. That will be fixed in the next release.

Regards,
Scott