gnupic: gpsim & readline problems for SuSE & Debian

Subject: gpsim & readline problems for SuSE & Debian
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 4 Feb 2000 16:21:05 -0000

Matt Bowles and I worked together to fix a long out-standing bug in gpsim.
Many SuSE and Debian users have complained that gpsim will not compile for
them. Some problem with readline was causing it to fail. I, being a RH
user, experienced no such problem. Here's an abbreviated dialog between
Matt and me:

-------------------------
Matt:

        Any idea's on the error I'm getting.
here's a typed copy of them (in part)

--This warning appeared during the 'make' stage.

Warning: THis library needs some functionality provided by -lreadline.
etc... etc...

and then.. .. inter library dependencies that have been dropped here
will be automatically added whenever a program is linked with this
library or is declared to -dlopen it.

(that means nothing, perhaps I need a copy of some lreadline utility)

--And these problems before the 'make' stopped.
/usr/lib/libreadline.a(display.o):In function 'rl-redisplay':
display.o(.text+0xc7c): undefined reference to 'tputs'

(this message was repeated with differing function names but usually the
undefined reference to 'tputs' and some other minor diffs)

--The actual errors were.
make[2]: *** [gpsim] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/gpsim-0.17.0/gpsim'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/gpsim-0.17.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

-- now i'm back to a prompt.

Background info.
Running SuSE linux 6.3
KDE and/or Enlightenment
Tried make etc, at prompt (w/ root privelges) not in a server.
./configure works fine.

---------------------------

After  going back and forth a few iterations, we realize that Matt does
not have the shared library version of the readline library. There are
certainly better ways of getting then what follows. However, in the past
I've told people "try reinstalling readline". To which they report it
doesn't fix the problem. (But this was before I realized that it was the
shared library that was missing).

So as an experiment, I write:
-----------------------------

Try this:

http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/readline.for_matt.tar.gz

You may want to install it like this:

untar it in a temporary directory:

$ tar -xvzf readline.for_matt.tar.gz

log in as root

$ su

make a back up your existing readline library

$ mv /usr/lib/libreadline.a /usr/lib/libreadline.a.orig

then copy these libreadlines I sent:

$ cp readline/libreadline.* /usr/lib -i

the -i will just inform you if you're about to copy over a file with the
same name. I suggest that you make backups of your existing readline
libraries just in case - I know you said you had only one libreadline.a
library, but I just want to warn you to be safe!

Now you'll need to update the ld cache:

$ /sbin/ldconfig

$ exit  # get out of the root shell

Now go over to your gpsim directory and try to remake gpsim. You might
need to do a 'make clean' (but I doubt it).

If this still doesn't work. Then try reconfiguring gpsim by:

$ rm config.cache
$ ./configure
$ make

-------------------------------

To which Matt replies:
-------------------------------

ta for that.
I got it working.
Now it's all about figuring out the gpsim run line..

Score! The files that were missing were libreadline.so* . Now, there are
two ways to fix this problem. One is to have SuSE and Debian users install
libreadline shared libraries the way they're supposed to be installed - or
have gpsim detect if libreadline.so* are present or not and to link with
them only if they are - otherwise, link with the static library.

Scott