gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Pic-Kit 3 and Linux?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Pic-Kit 3 and Linux?
From: Noel Henson ####@####.####
Date: 8 Oct 2009 16:47:28 -0000

On Thursday 08 October 2009, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Noel Henson writes:
> >The reason I ask is that I'd have no problem designing a universal PIC
> >programmer for us all to use. In the past I needed to create one that
> >worked for a particular line of remote controls for groups. It could
> >program the Atmel (which is SPI-like) and Microchip (different for each
> >family + HV Vpp). If the complexity of the programming 'OS' as
> > Microchip calls it is removed from the programmer, or rather if the
> > programmer only knew about the physical layer protocol, then the
> > programming algorithm for each family could reside on the host where
> > it is very easy to change.
> >
> >If I were to design one, I'd probably take the cheapest PIC part with
> > and SCI port, add a charge pump for Vpp and throw on a USB-to-serial
> > IC and call it done. But I'll only put in the effort if there's
> > interest.
>
> I'd be interested in such a thing.  Having the intelligence on the
> host would definitely be a Good Thing.
>
> Why a PIC with SCI and a USB-to-serial rather than a PIC with USB?
> Also, for ease in assembly, I'd suggest cheapest DIP rather than
> cheapest (I've hand soldered surface-mount and regarded it as No Fun).

Ah, the reason for the PIC with the USB IC are the issues with
cross-platform USB drivers. I've been down this road many times. It's much
easier for small volume products to put all of the USB issues to rest by
using a USB-to-serial IC. No firmware issues. No extra engineering issues.
No wasted host driver development time. That kind of thing. And the
manufacturer of the USB-to-serial IC takes care of and keeps up-to-date the
host-side drivers.

I do prefer the SMT devices, though. If one can solder a DIP, then one can
solder a 50mil pitch SMT device. But, if we get that far with this, I'll
keep that in mind. Besides, if I were to do such a thing, I'd try to have
them assembled professionally in panels.

Noel

  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com	Chips, firmware and embedded systems
  www.vimoutliner.org	Work fast. Think well.