gnupic: Status on enhanced 14-bit instruction set

Subject: Re: Status on enhanced 14-bit instruction set
From: Tamas Rudnai ####@####.####
Date: 13 Feb 2010 00:34:28 -0000

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM,  ####@####.#### wrote:
> MPASM is ancient but proven on our other devices.  Unfortunately MPASM is written in Turbo Pascal and very few people will admit to knowing
> Pascal these days.  Additionally, it has a windows gui built into it that some people actually use.  (call mpasmwin from the command line!)

I do actually :-) But maybe because I am old enough. Actually Turo
Pascal was a great system by that time, for many years I refused to
switch to C as it generated much smaller code than MSC, Think C or
even Turbo C. I think the only real alternative was Watcom but my
memories may tricking me.

> We have a new C16 project that DOES use GPASM.
> Also, the MPLAB 10 is cross platform so we must either A) port MPASM or B) switch to GPASM.  It looks like Plan B is simplest.
> Naturally these things take time.

Wow, that's great news (multiplatform MPLAB and C16 as well)! Thanks for that!

> We do not design chips or simulate them in Windows (Linux actually) so design needed something that runs on Linux to produce test code.  GPASM does that.

It would be so great seeing MPSIM on Linux as I just love the stimuli
capabilities it gives. BTW: This device simulation goes as far as
spice simulation as well? I guess that is not a public product either?

Thanks,
Tamas