gnupic: lcd module

Subject: Re: lcd module
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2000 07:11:25 -0000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, James Cameron wrote:

> I see no reason why you would need to implement it as a separate
> process.  Can you suggest any?

Yes. Perhaps not good ones, but I can suggest some.

From day one I've wanted gpsim to be able to be extendable and support
modules that are not necessarily pic related. I also eventually would to
create an infrastructure that others may easily add new modules to without
having to know all the intricacies of gpsim. This certainly could be
accomplished through a well documented api (and it's in fact how the gui
talks to the simulator now [I mean there's an api, it ain't documented by
any stretch]). However, a fairly complex module like the LCD would expose
all of the details required to achieve this goal.

Having a modular interface would allow others to distribute modules
without (in theory) having to worry about patching gpsim, or forcing
others to recompile. It's not a big deal now, because gpsim is so
unstable. There's a new release every few days it seems just to keep it
from falling over. But once it becomes more stable, I expect the release
frequency to drop off. If that stage is ever reached, it'd be convenient
(but not necessary) to simply add modules to your module library much like
you add .el files to configure emacs.

I know the counterpoints. An IPC will slow things down, all the modules
can be built into gpsim and selected with a script, probably only me and
maybe one other person in the world will actually ever right any modules,

I also know that it's past 1:00am and that I've been up for close to 20
hours...