gnupic: Looking for suggestions on adding enhanced 16F instructions to gpsim

Subject: Re: Looking for suggestions on adding enhanced 16F instructions to gpsim
From: Byron Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2011 16:00:09 -0000

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 07:35:49AM -0500, Vaclav Peroutka wrote:
> > For now use MPLAB under wine, this mplab only lives in my home and
> > install it with wine it does not take root.
> > I dream of something made in python for all platforms .... shame that
> > just a dream of mine.
> >
> > Greetings
> > NĂ©stor A. Marchesini
> >

> Hi Nestor,
>

> which programmer/debugger do you use ? Some time ago I tried that but my
> Pickit2 did not work under Wine.

I'm back with some comments.

- MPLabX is only in beta along with the other issues outlined. As a Linux
  user, I haven't used an actual Microchip product in over 15 years.
  The gputils tools along with DIY programmers, software, and bootloaders
  have been quite sufficient for all of my development needs.

- You Pickit2 can be programmed using pk2cmd, which is a native Linux/Mac
  application for programming.

- I don't use Wine because Wine simply cannot keep up with all of the
  changes Microsoft keeps introducing. I've tried on and off for well
  over 15 years to run various applications under Wine. Rarely does it
  "just work".

- gpsim is an excellent simulator. In some respects it is better than the
  MPLAB simulator because it works very hard to capture every aspect of the
  chip including I/O and external peripherals. It is a tool that I have
  used successfully in the past, so why would I want to switch?

- Also there is a different mindset between Unix style and Windows type
  applications. Windows apps have an extremely heavy GUI focus. Much of
  the time it gets in the way and inhibits scripting or automation of
  tasks. gpsim does it right offering both GUI and CLI access so that
  the developer can choose the appropriate level for the task at hand.
  Another difference is that virtually every Windows style development
  tool is in the IDE model, where every possible tool and the kitchen
  sink are all rolled up into one humongous application. I took a look
  at MPLabX and it looks like the Titanic. The Unix approach of single
  tools for single tasks facilitates mix and match. I can use my editor
  my assembler, my linker, my simulator, instead of being coerced into
  the tools the IDE developer thinks that I should use. I've been a
  Unix guy for most of my adult life. I do actually know why I'm not
  a Windows user.

- Finally I did come across a post in the gpsim development mailing list,
  which on second thought is where my query should have gone in the first
  place, that describes the process of adding new processors to the
  simulator. For posterity it can be found here:

  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=19542298

Hope this helps,

BAJ