gnupic: blinking leds with usb port

Subject: Re: blinking leds with usb port
From: Maxime Larocque ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2013 13:33:20 -0000

Hi Jorge,

Le 2013-02-28 04:03, Jorge Barros de Abreu a écrit :
> The goal is make the same project for usb port with small and low cost
> eletronical circuit.
>
> If you know a link in the internet with a similar hardware project for usb
> port i will apreciate if you put the link here.
I don't have any link on hands; it depends on how you define low cost
and the quantity you make to make.

For fast personal projects, I like to use a USB-to-serial adapter and
then connect a PIC with a serial port to it. It also allows for more
complex or time-critical timing if the PIC controls the output (like a
PWM, servo controller, etc). Also, there are a lot of examples out there
to communicate through a serial port.

Otherwise, you may have to use a chip with USB (PIC or other); I do not
have any experience with this, but it may be more complex if you need to
create a device driver specific to your device. Also, the packaging of
the chip may not be convenient for a Do-It-Yourself-er. It could be a
good option if you plan to produce a lot of your devices.

The third option would be to buy a USB to TTL output device; I do not
know the price of such things. You may even consider a Raspberry Pi in
this case; even if it is a bit overkill (I am not sure if it can work as
a USB device). The price may actually be lower than simple USB-to-TTL
devices.

Regards,

Maxime