gnupic: Thread: gpsim-0.18.1 won't compile

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: gpsim-0.18.1 won't compile
From: Mike Werner ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2000 02:58:09 -0000

Good evening folks.  Seeing as how I *finally* got a couple of PICs
to play with I decided I would probably need some tools to work with.
So I grabbed gpsim and gpasm from the web and took a whack at compiling
them.  gpasm went just fine.  But gpsim is dying with the message:
(sorry about the line length - but wanted to get the messages exact)

HAL9000:/usr/local/src/gpsim-0.18.1# make all
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/gpsim-0.18.1'
Making all in cli
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/gpsim-0.18.1/cli'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include     -g -O2 -c parse.cc
c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -c parse.cc -o parse.o
echo timestamp > parse.lo
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include     -g -O2 -c scan.cc
c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -c scan.cc -o scan.o
scan.cc:273: `void yy_fatal_error(const char *)' used but never defined
make[2]: *** [scan.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpsim-0.18.1/cli'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gpsim-0.18.1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I tried doing both:
./configure
./configure --disable-shared
but there was no difference in the error message.  Both times it dies
in the same place in the same way.

My system is Debian 'woody', with libgtkextra 0.99.0 from Debian and
the eXdbm package from Scott Dattalo's website installed.  I'm not sure
what else anyone would need from me, so if there's more info needed
please let me know.

I have now also downloaded the gpsim .rpm, converted it to a .deb
using Debian's alien tool, and installed it.  Once I created a
libreadline.so.3 link pointing to the libreadline.so.4 library it runs.
In the brief time that I've played with it, it seems to run just
fine.  Or at least it ran fine once I actually read the directions on
how to use it. :)
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
> Good evening folks.  Seeing as how I *finally* got a couple of PICs
> to play with I decided I would probably need some tools to work with.
> So I grabbed gpsim and gpasm from the web and took a whack at compiling
> them.  gpasm went just fine.  But gpsim is dying with the message:
> (sorry about the line length - but wanted to get the messages exact)

<snip>

> I have now also downloaded the gpsim .rpm, converted it to a .deb
> using Debian's alien tool, and installed it.  Once I created a
> libreadline.so.3 link pointing to the libreadline.so.4 library it runs.
> In the brief time that I've played with it, it seems to run just
> fine.  Or at least it ran fine once I actually read the directions on
> how to use it. :)

This is a good news/ bad news message. Fortunately the bad news hasn't changed
from before!

There two outstanding system bugs that gpsim has and you've provide a way to
'fix' both of them. The first bug is the C++ compiler one. There's apparently an
incompatibility between the C++ compiler I use (RH 6 distribution) and the one
you use. But there actually may be two incompatibilities. The code that the C++
compiler is choking on is that which was produced by flex. So perhaps there's a
bug in flex as well as the C++ compiler?

Fortunately, Mike, you were able to convert the precompiled RPM to a DEB and
install that. If you want, I'll place the DEB's on my web page so others may use
these as well.

The second system problem gpsim has is with readline. I apparently have the
./configure script looking for libreadline.3 . Now I don't explicitly do this,
so I have an idea as to what might be happening. The gpsim distribution has
'./configure' included in it. The configure script is the one that was built on
my system. So perhaps you need to create a configure script for your system:

$ cd gpsim-0.18.0
$ make clean
$ autoconf
$ automake
$ ./configure
or
$ ./configure --disable-shared

(The latter if you plan to do any debugging of gpsim).

$ make

At this point you can run the executable:

$ ./gpsim/gpsim
or

$ su
# make install
# exit

If that doesn't work, then I'll add the instructions on how to link
libreadline.3 to libreadline.4

Thanks for tracking these details, Mike. I hope gpsim is a useful tool for those
new pics of yours!

Scott