gnupic: Thread: gpsim development

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: gpsim development
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2000 16:26:16 -0000

For the last 8 months or so, Ralf Forsberg has been an integral developer
for gpsim. In fact, over 90% of the gui code has been due to his efforts.
He and I regularly exchange messages and would like to include others in
on the discussions we've been having.

First question:
The bandwidth on this list has been extremely low. Would anyone object to
gpsim development issues being discussed here? And if so, would someone
else care to host another mailing list?

First Issue:

Ralf is working on a feature that will save the window states. Essentially
he's creating an rc/session manager. We've shot a few ideas back and forth
and we both like an approach that is implemented in eXode (
http://simplicity.net/exode/ ), the enhanced X open desktop. Ralf cites an
example from eXdbm, the database library for eXode.

The file format looks like this:

# I am a comment for Variable
Variable = 12

FORMAT_LIST {
   TAR_GZ {
    Description = "gzipped tar archive"
    Magic = "\\032\\341"
    Pattern = "*.tar.gz:*.tgz:*_tar.gz"
    ViewCommand = "%DEFAULT"
    EditCommand = "eXtar"
  }

  IMAGE {
    Description = "graphic image"
    Magic = "%NONE"
    Pattern = "*.gif":"*.jpg":"*.tga"
    ViewCommand = "%DEFAULT"
    EditCommand = "gimp"
  }
}

-------
The idea is that we'll put the window specific information (e.g. size and
location) into a structure formatted as shown above. Then we'll use the
eXdbm code to parse the file. We're not saying that eXdbm will be
required. Chances are that Ralf will borrow the necessary files and make
them part of gpsim's distribution.

Comments?

Scott

Good idea, Scott.  Have the discussions on this list. This is likely to bring
some of us lurkers out.

Mal Goris
CSC Australia
Ph: 02 9901 1324    Fax: 02 9901 1555    Email: ####@####.####