gnupic: Thread: gpasm

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: gpasm
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2000 12:47:22 -0000

Preface:

I'm taking the initiative to release gpasm version 8. This DOES NOT have
James' approval. This is not to say that he wouldn't approve - I've just
been unable to contact him (again). This also should be construed as a
developer's release (you know what that means :).

Here's a brief history of gpasm:

About a year ago, James released version 0.0.7 and then disappeared off of
the map. Over the next few months, I released versions 0.0.7a , 7b, 7c,
and the latest 0.0.7d .

James' disappearance was attributed to a change of jobs. Unfortunately,
he didn't give us a way to contact him. However, I know where he lives
and so I visited him personally (jun/jul '99). We then exchanged a few
e-mails and in October he combined my changes with patches that he's
received elsewhere and made a preliminary version 0.0.8:

http://www.meer.net/~jamesb/scrap/

Because of some e-mail quirks, I didn't receive notification of this
release until 11nov99 - right about the time I was moving. So I was unable
to get any patches to version 8 until early december. That's when I
submitted this:

http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpasm-0.0.8a.patch

or the whole tarball:
http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpasm-0.0.8a.tar.gz

This is a critical patch for the 18cxxx family.

James hasn't responded to this patch request or any other e-mails. The
last I heard from him was in November... Bummer.

Which brings us to now. Over the last few weeks, I've made significant
changes to gpasm. Specifically, I switched the Makefile infrastructure to
use gnumake's automake stuff. This change is not absolutely necessary, but
it does give you a whole lot more flexibility on building and installing
gpasm. I've also changed the numbering scheme so that the 'micro version'
that James has been using all along is now the 'minor version'. That is,
instead of gpasm-0.0.8 it's now gpasm-0.8.0 . Subsequent development
tweaks will bump the micro-version. I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

I've also have fixed some bugs in the directives and applied Steve Tell's
patch (to fix the bug in the HIGH directive). A few enhancements related
to the 18cxxx family have also been made. The latest revision I've got is

http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpasm-0.8.2.tar.gz

Sorry for being a renegade, but the changes to gpasm are necessary for the
soon to be released version 18 of gpsim.

Regards,
Scott