gnupic: Thread: PIC17C7xx gpasm support?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: PIC17C7xx gpasm support?
From: Anthony Tekatch ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2000 01:14:01 -0000

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is planned support for the PIC17cxx controllers in gpasm?

--
Anthony
Subject: Re: PIC17C7xx gpasm support?
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2000 04:05:29 -0000

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Anthony Tekatch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know if there is planned support for the PIC17cxx controllers in gpasm?

I don't know if anyone has plans for it or not. However, adding support for the
17Cxx parts should be straight forward since most of the work has been done with
the 12-bit, 14-bit, and 18cxxx 16-bit cores. The SX opcodes are even supported
(the mnemonics aren't, but the extensions the SX adds to the 12-bit core are).

Scott

> I don't know if anyone has plans for it or not. However, adding support for the
> 17Cxx parts should be straight forward since most of the work has been done with
> the 12-bit, 14-bit, and 18cxxx 16-bit cores. The SX opcodes are even supported
> (the mnemonics aren't, but the extensions the SX adds to the 12-bit core are).

It looks pretty easy, I'll give it a try.

What is the best method to test my changes:
 - is there a standard test file for each processor that I can modify for the PIC17Cxx?
 - do you disassemble the assembled code to check it with the original source?

--
Anthony
On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Anthony Tekatch wrote:

> > I don't know if anyone has plans for it or not. However, adding support for the
> > 17Cxx parts should be straight forward since most of the work has been done with
> > the 12-bit, 14-bit, and 18cxxx 16-bit cores. The SX opcodes are even supported
> > (the mnemonics aren't, but the extensions the SX adds to the 12-bit core are).
>
> It looks pretty easy, I'll give it a try.
>
> What is the best method to test my changes:
>  - is there a standard test file for each processor that I can modify for the PIC17Cxx?
>  - do you disassemble the assembled code to check it with the original source?

If you look at the examples in gpasm you'll find .asm files I've written to test
how well gpsim simulates the instructions. Unfortunately, it won't work for you
since gpsim doesn't support the 17cxx core (hey Anthony, why you're at
it...). However, you may wish to look at these and try them out on a real 17C
processor.

look at:

examples/14bit/it.asm
and
examples/14bit/it18.asm

OK, I've done the coding, no compile errors :-).
Now I just have to test it all out. I don't have a processor yet so the real test will have to wait a week or so. I'd be willing to make my code available somehow in case anyone wants to look it over or test it.

> If you look at the examples in gpasm you'll find .asm files I've written to test
> how well gpsim simulates the instructions. Unfortunately, it won't work for you
> since gpsim doesn't support the 17cxx core (hey Anthony, why you're at
> it...).

I think that might be a bit larger project :-)

--
Anthony
On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Anthony Tekatch wrote:

> OK, I've done the coding, no compile errors :-). Now I just have to test it
> all out. I don't have a processor yet so the real test will have to wait a
> week or so. I'd be willing to make my code available somehow in case anyone
> wants to look it over or test it.
>
> > If you look at the examples in gpasm you'll find .asm files I've written to test
> > how well gpsim simulates the instructions. Unfortunately, it won't work for you
> > since gpsim doesn't support the 17cxx core (hey Anthony, why you're at
> > it...).
>
> I think that might be a bit larger project :-)

Indeed. But like gpasm, gpsim has the 12,14, and 18cxxx families implemented so
it shouldn't be too hard adding support for the 17cxx core. I'm in the middle of
adding the timer peripherals to the 18cxxx devices. When I finish that, I'll
investigate adding the 17cxx core.

Regards,
Scott