gnupic: Thread: Programming 16F877 for a newbie

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Programming 16F877 for a newbie
From: Mike ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2001 05:30:48 -0000

Hey all.  Got a question I'm hoping to get a pointer on.

I'm very new to PIC's, and this semester I've got a class that'll be using
them.  From what the prof was saying we'll be using the F877 in the lab.
I'm thinking of buying a couple to diddle with here at home.  The question
is what'll be the easiest route for me to program these beasts once I get
'em?

I saw that gpasm supports 'em, and gpsim shows at least partial support.
But that's not the part that's got me wondering.  What I'm unsure of is how
do I get the program into the chip itself?

I found the link to picprg2.2 - that looks like the best bet for programing
software I've come across so far.  I also found the patch for the 2.2
kernel.  I'm running 2.4.0 - will the patched version still work for me?

In the same message, there are directions on doing LVP with an F877 after
another patch to picprg.  So if I'm understanding things correctly as long
as picprg will still work with the 2.4 kernel I should be good to go with
basically the following:
 - a 16F877 chip
 - gpasm
 - picprg2.2 patched with 1) the 2.2 parallel code and 2) the programming
   code (0x18) for the F877
 - a parallel cable with a 1k resistor between RB7 and pin 2 of the cable
 - switched 5V to Vdd on the F877

Does that all sound about right?

I certainly appreciate all the work that's gone into all these tools.
Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to give something back.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]
Subject: Re: Programming 16F877 for a newbie
From: Yann Ramin ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2001 06:58:49 -0000

On Tuesday 09 January 2001 09:34 pm, Mike wrote:

> > Hey all.  Got a question I'm hoping to get a pointer on.
>
> I'm very new to PIC's, and this semester I've got a class that'll be using
> them.  From what the prof was saying we'll be using the F877 in the lab.
> I'm thinking of buying a couple to diddle with here at home.  The question
> is what'll be the easiest route for me to program these beasts once I get
> 'em?
>
> I saw that gpasm supports 'em, and gpsim shows at least partial support.
> But that's not the part that's got me wondering.  What I'm unsure of is how
> do I get the program into the chip itself?

I've been using the El Cheapo type programmer (DOS software only last I
checked, so I kept a good 486 around to prevent me having to taint my machine
and leave FreeBSD:)).  The Myke book even includes a PCB for it (which I
horribly messed up, so I redid it in vectorboard).  Its a very good book, and
your class may even use it.

The El Cheapo runs on a parellel port but uses the ICSP programming
functions. It is pretty robust, and for its added complexity compared to
other serial types, it works well.  Info can be found here:
http://www.myke.com/picmicro.htm

> I found the link to picprg2.2 - that looks like the best bet for programing
> software I've come across so far.  I also found the patch for the 2.2
> kernel.  I'm running 2.4.0 - will the patched version still work for me?
>
> In the same message, there are directions on doing LVP with an F877 after
> another patch to picprg.  So if I'm understanding things correctly as long
> as picprg will still work with the 2.4 kernel I should be good to go with
> basically the following:
>  - a 16F877 chip
>  - gpasm
>  - picprg2.2 patched with 1) the 2.2 parallel code and 2) the programming
>    code (0x18) for the F877
>  - a parallel cable with a 1k resistor between RB7 and pin 2 of the cable
>  - switched 5V to Vdd on the F877
>
> Does that all sound about right?
>
> I certainly appreciate all the work that's gone into all these tools.
> Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to give something back.

Yann Ramin			####@####.####
Atrus Trivalie Productions	www.redshift.com/~yramin
AIM				oddatrus
Marina, CA			http://profiles.yahoo.com/theatrus

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer
Electronics Hobbyist		person who loves toys

When smashing monuments, save the pedstals -- they always come in handy.
                -- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"

"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll
ask about Exchange Server next

From: "Peter H. Anderson" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2001 16:41:23 -0000

Mike,

You might consider an In Circuit Debugger, which is a bit more, but it saves
a lot of frustration.  It provides the abiltiy to set one breakpoint and
also watch
all variables.  Once done with the debugging, you can program the PIC for
actual standalone operation.

I have repackaged the Microchip ICD to permit you to interface with the
target PIC right on your breadboard.  See http://www.phanderson.com/icd/

Peter H. Anderson, http://www.phanderson.com, ####@####.####

> Hey all.  Got a question I'm hoping to get a pointer on.
>
> I'm very new to PIC's, and this semester I've got a class that'll be using
> them.  From what the prof was saying we'll be using the F877 in the lab.=20
> I'm thinking of buying a couple to diddle with here at home.  The question
> is what'll be the easiest route for me to program these beasts once I get
> 'em?

Odds are the class will feature the Microchip ICD, as the F877 is the
standard chip with the ICD. The quickest and easiest way to get started
would be to buy an ICD for $159. Or the slightly less expensive
rebundled ICD at http://www.phanderson.com/icd/.

I don't completely accept the arguments at
http://www.phanderson.com/icd/ against Microchip's demo board and chip
carrier. The chip carrier makes it possible to retrofit the ICD on to
the PIC board of your choice. Having seen what is involved to support
the ICD, I now lay out my own with ICD support. Also my ICD demo board
had a socket for the AMP RJ-11 6 pin connector and could be used
without the bulk of of the chip carrier.

I do have a bone to pick as to Microchip's terrible schematics. I hate
that typical PC dot-matrix-printer look of schematic. At the very least
they should ditch the page boarder and blow up the important stuff
enough that it is readable.

http://www.mccad.com/ has an ecad package which prints much more
attractive schematics. They come from a Macintosh background where
apparently printing correctly and non-ugly is more important than in
the PC world. The free version is a bit too limited at only one sheet
of 8.5x11. Their schematics look best printed at 50%, and that leaves
it big enough to view nicely on the monitor.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, ####@####.####

From: Kociela Krystian ####@####.####
Date: 19 Sep 2003 06:39:20 -0000

hi,
I need to know  the programming time for one PIC 16F877
BRG,
krystian.
From: Leva ####@####.####
Date: 19 Sep 2003 07:54:57 -0000

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:14:34 +0200
Kociela Krystian ####@####.#### wrote:

> hi,
> I need to know  the programming time for one PIC 16F877
> BRG,
> krystian.

http://web.interware.hu/leva/PIC/index.html

Have fun with it!

Leva

__

E-Mail: ####@####.####
AIM: ha5ogl
ICQ: 48710903
MSN: ####@####.####
Yahoo!: kieg_tk16
Home Page: http://web.interware.hu/leva
Public key: http://web.interware.hu/leva/cuccok/public_key

/"\
\ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email & vCards
/ \     http://arc.pasp.de/

Have Fun, & Linux! 73 for all by HA5OGL.
This message was generated by Sylpheed.

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]
Date: 19 Sep 2003 08:20:02 -0000

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:42:39 +0200
Kociela Krystian ####@####.#### wrote:

> there's no answer 4 my question. but tnx.

Oh yess you are right! I'm tired a little bit, and I thought You just wanted
to programm the PIC...

Sorry for the missunderstanding...

Leva

__