gnupic: Thread: Simulator literature suggestions?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Simulator literature suggestions?
From: "Niklas Wennerstrand" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2001 17:36:12 -0000

Hello simulator enthusiasts,

Can you recommend some books on the art of writing simulators for
microcontrollers?
I cant find anything on this subject but if you have some suggestions I
would appreciate it.
My first impression is that developers for such program would use OOP with
C++ but I have seen development of simulators using JAVA but why is that?
Have JAVA something that C++ lack or is it just because of lack of C++
programmers ? HiTech is writing an IDE simulator for PICmicro (HI-TIDE) and
what I heard they develop it using JAVA. Triscend (FPGA+microcontroller in
one company) writes their IDE simulator in JAVA. Is there some reason for
this?

Regards
Niklas Wennerstrand

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Niklas Wennerstrand wrote:

> Hello simulator enthusiasts,
>
> Can you recommend some books on the art of writing simulators for
> microcontrollers?
> I cant find anything on this subject but if you have some suggestions I
> would appreciate it.
> My first impression is that developers for such program would use OOP with
> C++ but I have seen development of simulators using JAVA but why is that?
> Have JAVA something that C++ lack or is it just because of lack of C++
> programmers ? HiTech is writing an IDE simulator for PICmicro (HI-TIDE) and
> what I heard they develop it using JAVA. Triscend (FPGA+microcontroller in
> one company) writes their IDE simulator in JAVA. Is there some reason for
> this?

Eric Smith recently pointed out this:

http://sources.redhat.com/sid/

I know nothing about it other than what's written on the their web page.

---
There are two things Java lacks: programmers and speed. Also, when I started
gpsim there wasn't a very good Java development environment available (for
free). After version 9 or so (before gpsim had a gui), Andrew Burgess wrote a
Java wrapper around gpsim. There's still a link on the gpsim web page to it.

It's funny that you should mention Triscend as an example of a Java
IDE. It's a perfect example of Java program that's run amuck. It's also a
perfect example of why IDE's suck (to a first order approximation). The FastCHIP
99 software was pathetic, their version 2 was only slightly better. If you look
beneath the scenes, you'll notice that the Java IDE sits on top of a CLI
interface (now that's clever :). I'm quite certain that the CLI is not written
in Java. As a consequence, the multi-platform promise of Java is broken... A
serious user of the Triscend parts will undoubtedly give up the gui in favor of
the CLI (I did at least, but now I'm not using triscend any more).

A rhetorical question: Are there any good IDE's out there?

Scott

	I think they are doing it because Java offers cross-platform GUI (not possible with C++), and it is easier on the
programmer than C++. easier to program. But Java is slower than C++........
I know 2 simulators implemented in Java:
1>Feersum Pic Emulator http://www.feertech.demon.co.uk/picem/ (works in web browser JVM too)
2.> Hades http://tech-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/applets/hades/html/hades.html

	Regards,

	Dincer Aydin