gnupic: Thread: PIC18 K22 series chips

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: PIC18 K22 series chips
From: Tim Edwards ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2011 18:40:10 -0000

In December, I was successfully programming a PIC18F4525 with picp and a
Picstart Plus programmer.  I was having difficulty trying to get 2 UARTs running
at the same time, using the on-board UART for one, and software-emulating the
other.  Even at the maximum 32MHz on-board clock speed, there was just not
enough time for the interrupt routine and everything else to run (at 38400
baud).  I thought I would try the PIC18F45K22 instead, as it has two UARTs and
for the most part is structured rather like the 4525.  I new this was not a
supported device, but figured I could generate an entry for it in picdevrc, and
use picsnoop if all else failed.  Well, all else has failed, but so does
picsnoop, because I found out that Microchip does not support the Picstart Plus
with the K22 series chips.  My question is:  Is there something fundamentally
different about the K22 series that makes it incompatible with the Picstart
Plus?  There's nothing in the datasheet for the K22 chips that would suggest
that they program any differently from, say, the 18F4525.  If they do program
the same, then it may still be a shot in the dark figuring out how to make the
Picstart Plus program it, without any support from Microchip.  Any ideas?
                                             ---Tim

The nominal voltage for Vpp changed from 12V for the 18F4525 to 8.5V on
the 18F45K22.  I don't know if the Picstart Plus can support that.  There
may be more changes as well.

Personally, I'd just get a PICkit 2 and program with that.  That part is
listed as supported if you use the standalone application.

Jerry

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Tim Edwards wrote:

> In December, I was successfully programming a PIC18F4525 with picp and a
> Picstart Plus programmer.  I was having difficulty trying to get 2 UARTs running
> at the same time, using the on-board UART for one, and software-emulating the
> other.  Even at the maximum 32MHz on-board clock speed, there was just not
> enough time for the interrupt routine and everything else to run (at 38400
> baud).  I thought I would try the PIC18F45K22 instead, as it has two UARTs and
> for the most part is structured rather like the 4525.  I new this was not a
> supported device, but figured I could generate an entry for it in picdevrc, and
> use picsnoop if all else failed.  Well, all else has failed, but so does
> picsnoop, because I found out that Microchip does not support the Picstart Plus
> with the K22 series chips.  My question is:  Is there something fundamentally
> different about the K22 series that makes it incompatible with the Picstart
> Plus?  There's nothing in the datasheet for the K22 chips that would suggest
> that they program any differently from, say, the 18F4525.  If they do program
> the same, then it may still be a shot in the dark figuring out how to make the
> Picstart Plus program it, without any support from Microchip.  Any ideas?
>                                             ---Tim

> The nominal voltage for Vpp changed from 12V for the 18F4525 to 8.5V on
> the 18F45K22.  I don't know if the Picstart Plus can support that.  There
> may be more changes as well.
>
> Personally, I'd just get a PICkit 2 and program with that.  That part is
> listed as supported if you use the standalone application.

Thanks for the information.  I didn't notice the change in Vpp voltage.
Microchip didn't go out of their way to advertise the differences between the
"K" series chips and others.  I am taking your advice and have ordered a PicKit
2 from Digi-Key.
                                             Regards,
                                             Tim