gnupic: Thread: Symbol names in .cod file

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Symbol names in .cod file
From: juan ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jan 2016 08:07:02 -0000

	Greetings!

	I've been trying gpasm/gplink and using gpsim for simulation.

	I've run into the following issue. After loading a .cod
	file in gpsim, gpsim only shows file registers that have been
	declared as global in the asm source files.

	Doing a search inside the .cod file suggests that indeed only
	the names of registers that have been declared as global are
	being listed/referenced in the .cod file. I'm wondering if
	there's a way to have the linker put the names of all local
	registers in the .cod file?

	I took a quick look at gplink's source and in cod.c found this
	comment

	  /* All the global symbols are written.  Need to figure out
	what to do about the local symbols. */

	Shouldn't local symbols be written as well?

TIA!

The cod file design supports local and temp variable support. Essentially
local variables have PC range information as well as tying and
value/addressing information.

I am currently traveling with limited email access but would be happy to
answer detailed questions on this.

Walter..

> 	Greetings!
>
> 	I've been trying gpasm/gplink and using gpsim for simulation.
>
> 	I've run into the following issue. After loading a .cod
> 	file in gpsim, gpsim only shows file registers that have been
> 	declared as global in the asm source files.
>
> 	Doing a search inside the .cod file suggests that indeed only
> 	the names of registers that have been declared as global are
> 	being listed/referenced in the .cod file. I'm wondering if
> 	there's a way to have the linker put the names of all local
> 	registers in the .cod file?
>
> 	I took a quick look at gplink's source and in cod.c found this
> 	comment
>
> 	  /* All the global symbols are written.  Need to figure out
> 	what to do about the local symbols. */
>
> 	Shouldn't local symbols be written as well?
>

> TIA!

> The cod file design supports local and temp variable support.

	Thanks for your reply Walter!

	So, is it possible for gplink to put local variables in
	the .cod file? (so that gpsim can 'see' them).