nanogui: Web browser ported to Microwindows

Subject: Web browser ported to Microwindows
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 1999 20:18:31 -0000

I'm happy to announce that I've just heard that Opera Software has
just ported their fully functional web browser to Microwindows!
They have sent me a screen shot, which I will post.  The port
uses the Nano-X API, and runs in client/server mode.  Full
color support, palette mapping, jpeg and gif image and font
support is working, as well as transparent images.  It actually
works!

I will be rearchitecting the client/server networking code shortly,
as the browser is running a bit slower than it should.  I'm sure this
is because of the extreme handshaking occuring for each parameter,
which causes excessive context switches for any i/o.

The total size of the browser codefile is 667k, much, much smaller
than most web browsers.  This means that it's possible that Opera
could port the software to any of the newer palmtop or LinuxCE
[MIPS, StrongARM or SH3] devices for browser access, since
Microwindows now runs on these processors.

For more information on Opera Software, see www.opera.com.