nanogui: resolution and color depth?

Subject: RE: resolution and color depth?
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 1999 19:37:29 -0000

: 1) Does nanoGUI support a resolution greater than 640x480?
:
It will support any resolution.  The driver layer tells the engine how
big the screen is.  Currently, the fb driver reads that info from the kernel,
so it'll come up with whatever the kernel thinks the fb is.

: 2) It appears that 16 bpp is supported as long as the correct fb device is
: used. Is this correct?

	We support truecolor 16bpp using 5/6/5 packing.  A 5/5/5 packing
would require a trivial source mod.  Again, this is read from the fb device
for the fb screen driver.

:
: 3) Is there currently support for processing jpeg files? I assume there is
: since Greg's latest message describes the web browser. Where would these
: utilities be found?

Opera's web browser isn't open source.  But the jpeg libraries are.  I've
got considerable experience with the jpeg library, but haven't brought
that into the project yet.  Currently, there's a simple internal color bitmap
format that you could use the jpeg library to read jpegs and write to.

:
: 4) I'm a little concerned with speed. The application is fairly simple, but
: does need to drive full screen video. The last version of nanogui I used did
: not have bitblit. I would think that drawing is much faster with this
: enhancement.

Bitblit is currently working only for the Microwindows api, not the Nano-X api.
I would suggest using the linked application client/server mode for speed,
you don't want to send video over a unix socket, I don't think.
I suggest you get into it a bit, figure which api you want to use, and let me
know what items need speeding up.

:
: I'm more than willing to help code, test, etc. on any part of the project
: where I can help. I have many years of C and Unix experience, but lack
: knowledge of how computer graphics work. So, I just need a little direction
: to start with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Part of the point of Microwindows is to teach a simple but very effective
graphics implementation.  Read all of mwin/src/dev*.c files and the architecture
document.  You should be able to pick it up fairly quickly, it's fun.