nanogui: window manager support in nano-X

Subject: Re: window manager support in nano-X
From: Daniel R Risacher ####@####.####
Date: 23 Nov 1999 19:14:22 -0000

    >> Pretty much all this stuff is currently unimplemented in
    >> nano-X, including the ability to reparent.  But I don't think
    >> it sounds that hard.  (famous last words)

    Michael> Is it definitely necessary to reparent the window? I have
    Michael> a feeling this was only done on the first X window
    Michael> managers because there was no way to draw a
    Michael> non-rectangular frame window, so you had to reparent the
    Michael> client window into the frame to get a border on all four
    Michael> sides. If you were willing to settle for a titlebar, you
    Michael> might not have to reparent the window. I think. Maybe.

As far as I can tell, current windowmanagers reparent the window.
Certainly Enlightenment does.  I believe that this is the right
solution.  You don't want to drag the titlebar, you want to drag the
whole package.

You can demonstrate this for yourself with the command,
	xwininfo -frame -tree
and then click on a window titlebar.

--
                       What color is green?