nanogui: fonts in nanox

Subject: RE: fonts in nanox
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 1999 19:36:34 -0000

: i think we should use a system similar to x.,,...? would this be okay?

Too complicated.  I think we should try to keep this a "small"
project.  The X Window Font Specification (XWFS?) is too large
as it is.  I still think that a filename in a GrLoadFont is probably
the best bet.  However, for those wanting font characterstics
(this is only really useful for human font picking, _not_ computer
programs picking fonts), we could either store information
about font size, etc in the font name, like X does, or we could
have a GrQueryFonts that loads them all up, gets their info,
unloads them all, and puts it all up in a (yet non-existent) listbox...

: > 	Microwindows currently doesn't depend on any operating system
: > support
: > for file i/o.  So this option should likely remain a compile-time
support
: > option, for
: > operating systems without file i/o or filesystems.
: >
:
: true - but we could have a devfileio.c which has hooks for fs io
: so os's that support itcan, and those that can't, dont.
: for those that can't we could compile in certain limited files.

That's exactly how we do it now, with the exception of the font loading.

: i'm going to take a look at the xfs andwrite a curt down version

What's xfs?

: to link into the nanox server and microwindows - i will add support
: for bitmapped fonts etc thats allready there...

We should probably stay with the in-core font structure that
supports fixed and proportional fonts.  This was designed to keep
core costs down, as most indices are bytes and font width
pixmaps are kept as shorts...

:
: >
: >
: >
: > : i then think it would be possible to unload fonts  that
: > : haven' been used for a while.
: >
: > 	Yep. I propose that the application that calls GrLoadFont also
: > call GrUnloadFont.
: >
:
:  we could make it so that when the app
: requests a font the server loads it automatically,

Yes, exactly.  That's what GrLoadFont does - request a font.