nanogui: Re: running on LCD

Subject: RE: running on LCD
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jan 2000 20:37:08 -0000

: I have seen you work on windowing systems and I was impressed

Thanks

:
: I am not that experanced with GUI interfaces and would like to know how it
: draws to the screen ? how hard would it be to port to a differant arch.
: which draws to an LCD I have to investigate what the graphics controller
is
: in the system  but how do you do it ?

Actually, Microwindows is designed so that it is very easy to run
draw on a variety of architectures.  I propose that you read the
architecture
document at
	http://microwindows.censoft.com

Basically, all draw code goes through a separate piece of code,
known as a screen driver.  Microwindows has four required entry
points: read pixel, draw pixel, draw horizontal line, and draw vertical
line.  Everything above this, including the cursor, text drawing,
and images, and rectangle filling, uses these routines.  All you've got
to do is write these four routines.  Currently, there are drivers
for PC vga, svgalib, Xlib, Linux framebuffer.

Later on Microwindows may add more screen driver entry points
for speed, but would then allow "emulation" by calling one of these
four routines if the newer high speed routine was missing.