nanogui: Running document -- RTEMS framebuffer interface specification

Subject: Re: Running document -- RTEMS framebuffer interface specification
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Feb 2000 17:42:09 -0000

: I have put something together as a starting point  for the design of
: "framebuffer" interface
: for RTEMS.

Rosimildo -
    It's a good start, I like the diagram ;-).  Using the source from Linux
framebuffer code could be a great idea since that's a heck of alot of code
that doesn't have to be rewritten.  There are considerations, though, and that's
that there's quite a bit of 16-bit boot code that's executed for the Linux
video stuff before the framebuffer code ever executes.  So it's going to
be complicated.

Perhaps a better idea would be to start with a ripped version of the
sfb.c (simple framebuffer), kind of a skeleton, and make it work with
the RTEMS console, using the VGA code that we're currently using
in Microwindows, and is known to work.

After that, adding chipsets by inspecting some of the Linux fb code could
work...  It could be a big project, depending on which cards we want to
support.