nanogui: Qt on Microwindows?

Subject: Re: Qt on Microwindows?
From: Rahul Dave ####@####.####
Date: 20 Mar 2000 22:09:26 -0000

> I've just taken a look at this, and will have someone in San Jose
> check out the demo this week.
>
> It's not Microwindows, although they certainly could be using some of the
> code...
Yes as Roberto pointed out, the time between adding anti-aliasing+alpha blending
and their PR release is too less. But hey, thanks to Shane, Greg, and co we
have fltk in roughly the same time!!!

> All this points to how I think perhaps I should get some more commercial
> distribution and PR for Microwindows, to assure it's success...  I've been
> working on this.  There's an incredible interest and heating up in the embedded
> Linux arena right now.  I'll keep the list posted as to advancements.

I wonder if having mozilla with the windows Front end and linux all else will
help. Whilst I dont presently have the skills to try such a thing, or I would have, I am presently prototyping a user interface in Mozilla XUL which uses RDF
sorces and metadata as opposed to a files based interface, and I hope to do
it in a small enough database footprint to fit on a embedded device. For this
and other similar apps, mozilla/XUL could maybe be a killer app..

> QT didn't mention that it will be open source.  Is it?  Even if it is,
> they will be charging royalties for distribution, just like with QT, most
> likely.  There will never be royalties for Microwindows use.
Hear! Hear! One of the things which worries me about the embedded space is
that there does not seem to be the same commitment to open source as has
been shown by KDE, GNOME, and widget makers including Troll in the gui space
on the desktop. This is perhaps inevitable with the heightened interest in Linux since the IPO's; and given the target users are unlikely to be developers.
So we have Samsungs Yopy with some strange GUI set(Qt?), and now Troll, and
perhaps many others on the way.

Hopefully microwindows/nano-X will become the defacto standards; once some
widget sets are ported over; their free nature will probably ensure more
innovative apps(and horrors the word innovation gives me a vision of Bill Gates
speaking after Judge Penfield's finding of fact).
Rahul