nanogui: New Microwindows font support

Subject: Re: New Microwindows font support
From: ####@####.####
Date: 21 Mar 2000 21:02:10 -0000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:08:49 -0500 Rob Leslie ####@####.#### wrote:
>I haven't looked at the version 3.0 standard, but as of version 2.1 none of
>these abstract characters were assigned.
>
>Surrogates can probably safely be ignored, although a good implementation
>might at least try to recognize (H,L) pairs and treat them as a single unit
>for display purposes.

For Nano-X/Microwindows purpose I'd say the best would be to exchange data
in UTF-8 and convert to UTF-32 (the subset of legal Unicode scalar values
from UCS-4) for display. IMHO this is the cleanest way of handling it, and
it would perhaps be just as easy to just make the conversion functions available
to the font renderer and let it decide how to deal with the conversion - I
don't see why there should be any need to convert it until as late as possible
before the values will be used. UTF-8 is becoming so commonplace that it's
certainly conceivable that font renderers that handle the conversion internally
will start popping up.

As for the actual use for surrogate pairs, there is work underway to add glyphs
that will require them for UTF-16... So ignoring it will be a problem at some
point, allthough it likely isn't *now*.

Vidar.

--
Get your firstname@lastname email for FREE at http://NamePlanet.com