nanogui: VNC viewer for nano-X

Subject: Re: VNC viewer for nano-X
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Apr 2000 01:29:31 -0000

:                README for the nano-X VNC viewer

Very very cool.  I've got a friend who uses VNC alot,
I've asked him to check this out.  I'll take a look at
the work also.

I've commented on a couple things below:

: + Only tested with an 8-bit palette display. Palette handling is a
:   problem area since VNC wants to set the viewer's palette to match
:   the server but nano-X does not allow applications to have their
:   own palette.

Setting any portion of the hardware palette is easy:  I'll add
GrSetPalette to my list, and by the time you're back, it should
be done.

: + No way to exit from the viewer, you need to kill the process.

You must be running with the new -e option that tells nano-x
not to exit on ESC.  Perhaps we need a programmable exit
sequence or character.

: I use the GrMainLoop() function, with a callback, for the central
: event loop. I found that GsSelect() gets called twice, once in
: GrGetNextEvent() and then immediately after in GrCheckNextEvent().
: This seemed to cause mouse and keyboard handling to fail after a
: short while. My temporary fix is to comment out the call in
: GrCheckNextevent().

I'm still waiting for some more input from Morten on this,
but I'll check it out also.