nanogui: Win32/DOS build environment

Subject: Re: Win32/DOS build environment
From: "Darran D. Rimron-Molloy" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jul 2000 23:26:35 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
To: "Darran D. Rimron-Molloy" ####@####.####
####@####.####
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 11:28 PM

> : I'm finally in a position to start hacking again (a very long story)
but
> : it looks like I'm going to be forced to do it on a Win32 build
> : environment....
>
> Hopefully your new wife isn't taking too much time ;-)

Only in the very best ways :-)

> : How do we stand on Freeware/Shareware/GPL'ed build environment on
Win32?
> Well, I think there should be no big problems if we use the gnu
mingw32
> compiler.  I would prefer this to cygwin.

cygwin is a tad on the bloated side, I seem to recall in both devopment
and application manners, and I kinda don't like the commercial path it
has taken....

> A new screen driver will need to be built, which will be interesting,

And if an elephant stood on your toes it may hurt some -- Greg, master
of understatement speaks again.

> since it links with code with exactly the same signatures as the
actuall
> win32 api.  So it will probably need to be a DLL and use
GetProcAddress
> and dynamic linking, rather than statically linked.

I've got (aka, do or die) to write a contact management system for Linux
and Win32 and DOS so I decided to use nanogui, because I can.... :)
Plus not better way to learn it than to try, is there? :-)  I've still
got the MS-DirectDraw code I was using for a device driver back last
September kicking around somewhere, but I thought I'd go for a freeware
solution rather than comitting to VC++.

    -Darran