nanogui: problems related to microwindows v0.89pre2

Subject: Re: problems related to microwindows v0.89pre2
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2000 15:07:54 -0000

: 1) How to use True Type fonts correctly?
: I find that all strings are of the same fonts in logfont.sh demo.
: something like that:
: Proportional
: Bold Proportional
: Italics Proportional
: Bold Italics Proportional
: Oblique Proportional

I'll fix up the logfonts demo, it currently doesn't work.

: Which directory should I place the -fonts-truetype-0.89pre2, I mean under
: microwin or microwin/src or microwin/src/fonts ,etc.

By default, the configuration file specifies FREETYPE_FONT_DIR=
"/usr/local/microwin/fonts"

This is my current recomendation for where to put the fonts.  Basically,
Microwindows gets a font path prefix compiled into the server.
When font facenames are passed to Microwindows without a
path or extension, the path is prepended and .ttf is added to
the end of the facename and that font file is opened.
I'm working on a simple font selector from the MWLOGFONT
struct, but that's not done yet.

:
: 2) Do you have any idea why the nxkbd and nxscribble cannot run in background
on
:  Assabet board (arm-linux)?
: I got the following errors:
:
: ./nxkbd &
: [1] 74
: Client: bad readblock -1
: CRITICAL: Client 74: Corrupted packet
:
: [1]+ Broken pipe ./nxkbd
: *remark: nxkbd and nxscribble can be run properly under native linux (X86)

Hmm.. Interesting. Looks like a porting/architecture issue.  I've not
tried nxkbd on StrongARM yet.  I've had nxscribble running on the
iPAQ, but not with this release.  Jason - did you compile up
pre2 on the iPAQ yet?

:
: 3) Cannot focus on input field
: condition : I run my application which is written by fltk after running
: scribble.sh demo
:
: The cursor will disappear when I focus the soft keyboard.
: This means I cannot send the keyboard event to the desired input field. I have
: to push the top bar of window of my application, i.e. the window bar is
: highlighted.
: Then the problem seem be solved.
: The drawback is that it is inconvenient to push the window top bar and then
push
:  the input field to focus.
: I think it is natural the user just push or tap the input field to focus and
: then turn to soft keyboard to send the key event to the focused input field.

This sounds like a complex focus issue.  I will look into this.
There is quite a bit of work in development regarding focus with
the pre2 release, and it sounds like I don't have it right yet. ;-)

The following issues will be worked on by Century Software:
:
: Problems related to fltk:
: 4) Popup menu object changed?
: When the popup menu is tapped, it shows a separate window instead of popup
menu.
:  Also, the separate window contains nothing rather that menu items.
:
: 5) How can I change the font size or type in fltk?
: It seems there is only one font size/type shown on my application even I
: explicitly change the font size/type in program.
: Can the problems be solved when using True Type font instead?
(Jordan - now that pre2 is released, you'll want to change
FLTK to handle the truetype fonts as we discussed...)

:
: 6) Font misalignment
: I find the font misalign when scrolling.
: Can I solve the problem by invoke Fl_Scroll::redraw() method after scrolling?
On
:  the other hand, it there a callback during scrolling?
: I've tried but not find. Please advise.
(Dave - comments?)