nanogui: nanoX for ELKS

Subject: RE: nanoX for ELKS
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 1999 22:42:50 -0000

> 	1. Does ELKS support select()?  We need select() for the mouse_fd and
> > keyboard fd, (serial and console tty) -OR- we can write a polling driver entry
> > point...
>
> The current version inCVS does, which will be released soon. The last
> release does not.

	Hopefully you have all the FD_SET macros etc finished.  The code that
will be used is in nano/server/srvmain.c, in the function GsSelect().

	If you have the include/linux/*.h header files that define this stuff,
I'd like to have them so that at least I can keep nanoX compiling...

Also, it might not be a bad idea to test the select using a console fd and serial
tty fd...

> > 	2. Does ELKS support the various termios modes?  Of course, no echo
> > and ~ICANON are required.
>
> Yes to some extent. I am working on this code at the moment.

	Great.  The nano/server/drivers/kbd_tty.c code is currently being
used and compiling under bcc.

> > BTW, the nano-X executable on ELKS is 35k text and 6k data for a grand total of 41k!!
>
> Cool, about what I would expect. Not prohibitively big. How much more
> functionality will be added to nano-X aftet this release? Will it get much
> bigger?

	I don't really know how much more stuff will be added.  I'm aware that
Alex Holden has started working heavily on the code again.  There are a number of things
that would be nice to add.  There isn't agreement yet on what the driver model should
be, though.

> I have become very adept at hand optimising code for elks so i can probably
> get a much smaller binary sorted eventually.

	Cool.  I've also hand-written a bunch of #asm stuff for the elks release...